Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239536 by NYCFlyer
27 Dec 2005, 08:30
Used online check-in to ensure that my PE seat on the upper deck was secured (or as secure as possible). Arrived LHR 0700 and no queue at UC check-in area so used that to drop my bag. Very pleasant check-in and I was advised I was in 73K at the moment. First time using the advantages of Au so using Fastrack was great with only a very short line.

I arrived in the CH in no time at all and settled down to a very acceptable Full English Breakfast. I do like the new lounge although obviously at present it does seem small in comparison to the old one. Cant wait to see the actual result of phase two (the artist impression looks fantastic). Lounge wasnt that busy but I would guess later in the day it probably gets a bit uncomfortable. Treatment booked at the Cowshed was the Rhinestone Cowboy. Still seems very bizarre to me turning up to check-in unshaven! Whilst the last time I had this treatment I was a little disappointed, no such thing this time around. The whole treatment was completed including a little bit of pain at the end with the eyebrow tidy (vanity eh!!!). Certainly makes for a relaxing start to the trip.

Enquired whether my seat was likely to be changed following comment at check-in but was advised that the flight was full. Good news for VS not good for me hoping for an op-up!

Flight called slightly before 0900 and a brisk walk out to Gate 40. Strangely on arrival at the gate nobody had boarded at all. I am used to going from the CH to a near empty gate area. However no problem as the flight was boarded shortly afterwards and I managed to navigate to the head of the queue. Gate agent gave a suspicious look at my red boarding card and then waved me on.

Settled down in 73K. The CA working upstairs PE was fantastic. A helpful, pleasant CA with a great smile.

Flight left the gate a few minutes late but crew stated they we should still make an on time arrival. Departed of LHR on 27L and out over Windsor and onto towards southern Ireland for quite a relatively southerly crossing

Food was a choice of Christmas Turkey, Sausage and Mash or the usual Veggie offering. Judging by the lively discussion on this board about S & M in UCS I went for the Turkey option. The food was very pleasant for Y food but I cannot help noticing that the overall amount on the tray seems to have reduced again. A couple of less common vegetables in the turkey dinner surprised me (red cabbage and swede). Wine service needs improving as like others only one glass was offered; I would have liked a bit more. Quality of the wine served was good for Y.

I do like to have i-map running whilst I have the laptop on and listen to the iPod but sadly it gave out nearing the Canadian coastline. The CA tried a reset and although everything else worked on the system i-map didnt so it was back to mark one eyeball out the window!! No idea where we were but Canada does look awesome with so much snow around.

For the 2nd food service a second CC had come upstairs. Sadly the two didnt co-ordinate too well and I got missed out being served food. Despite trying to attract attention before they returned to the galley I ended up using the call button (which I hate doing!). I got some food which was acceptable.

On time arrival into JFK and rapid deplaning got me off through immigration and customs and on my way in no time at all.

Having gone to SFO in UCS 3 months ago I was concerned about how I would feel back in PE. Whilst disappointed not to get an upgrade, I actually didnt really mind being in PE, probably because I was on a 747 and upstairs too.

Graham[;)]
#326721 by kev-flyer
12 Jan 2006, 13:28
How did you get access to the CH when you flew PE? I am flying PE in february (first time with VS!) and thought we never got access?

Thanks!!!
#326724 by Decker
12 Jan 2006, 13:33
Key-Flyer - Graham is a Gold Flying Club member - see his avatar. That gets him lounge access.

Graham - don't know how this TR slipped through the net! Must have been Xmas! Thanks for a cracking report! PE upstairs really is the place to be! Glad to hear that the food was better if not bigger :)
#326757 by NYCFlyer
12 Jan 2006, 15:11
Originally posted by Decker
Graham is a Gold Flying Club member - see his avatar. That gets him lounge access.

Au has rendered my need for Amex Centurion redundant this year, but I am still holding onto it. Upgrades at Sheraton/Westin/W alone on the last trip makes it worthwhile and when I lose Au I'll still need it.

Decker - Thanks for the kind words on the TR, I did wonder if everyone was ignoring me over Xmas [ii]

Graham
#326758 by Decker
12 Jan 2006, 15:18
Ah yes - as does Amex Centurion and one or two other things [:D].

Centurion is still VERY worth it for us for the travel insurance alone - especially now they've removed the depth restriction on diving [;)]
#326761 by HighFlyer
12 Jan 2006, 15:29
Thanks for the TR Graham, (had not seen this one either myself) Glad you had a good journey and that the adjustment back to PE was ok. Will be in a similar situation myself this year having done my last load of flights all back to back UCS, although PE upstairs on the 744 always (usually) hits the spot!

Judging by the lively discussion on this board about S & M in UCS

Oooh err missus!! [:D][:D][:D] Hehe [}:)]
#326809 by Airbus340
12 Jan 2006, 20:18
good to see your trip was a nice one
Virgin Atlantic