Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239646 by miopyk
02 Jan 2006, 19:27
Hi all,

We just got back so I thought I'd post a quick outward TR before I fall asleep.

Did on-line check in the night before which proved to be a real time saver when we saw the queues in terminal 3 the following afternoon.

Got called to the gate at around 7.30 and boarded at around 7.50. After a delay to de-ice the wings we left about 40 minutes late which meant arriving in EWR around midnight local time.

The flight was pretty uneventful, quite bumpy for the first couple of hours an then quite smooth for the remainder. The IFE wasn't that brilliant (very small screens) so it was just as well I had the new xmas pressy with me, PSP complete with GTA, which kept me going for 2-3 hours.

Immigration was the quickest ever, from plane to baggage claim in 10 minutes. Then waited 20 minutes for the bags to arrive. Overall though we were pleased we took the big cases (thanks to those who suggested this in an earlier post) as we ended up doing a bit more shopping than originally anticipated and the extra room was very useful.

We were met outside customs by our driver from Manhattan Coach and were initially concerned when he told us that the town car he was due to use had broken down, until we saw the super stretch limo waiting outside. What a way to arrive in New York.

Checked into the Le Parker Meridian (fantastic location and quite a good hotel especially if you like swimming in the clouds!!!) at around 1.30 am and went straight to bed. The next four days were spent sightseeing, shopping, eating the occaisional meal and we finished off with a 25 minute firework display in Central Park for New Years.

Overall we had a really good trip and New York certainly lived up to our expectations. If you're planning on going, I recommend, Manhattan Coach, Le Parker Meridian and a trip to the Top Of The Rock at night which provided some fantastic views of the city.

Return TR will follow soon.

Miopyk
#324370 by AlanA
02 Jan 2006, 20:37
Nice report,
thanks for a view from the back.
But.... 'the screens are small', but the PSP screen isn't???? [:D][:D][:D][:D]
#324374 by buns
02 Jan 2006, 21:09
Thanks for the TR[y][y]

Also the v.useful tips at the NY end[^][^]

Provided you have a good pick up laid on, taking the later flight has its merits[;)][;)]

Thanks once again
#324402 by slinky09
03 Jan 2006, 08:28
Good TR - Le Parker Meridien is one of my fave hotels and glad you liked it.

Look forward to the return.