Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239685 by miikka
04 Jan 2006, 11:45
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
My first flight ever with Virgin

Arrived quite early to the airport to have a peaceful breakfast at the lounge. There was a little bit queue at the check-in but then the whole check-in was very fast. After leaving the desk I noticed that I received a seat in upstairs and I didn't remember to mention that I would like to be seated downstairs.

Proceeded to the FastTrack security and noticed it completely empty, walked through it quite fast (all metal into the bags, wear flight friendly shoes etc) and proceeded to find myself to the lounge (quick shopping on the way). I found the lounge quite easily (you cannot miss the stairway) and was greeted very friendly. After the quick visit to the concierge desk I was seated in the downstairs and then I just proceeded to the breakfast. The lounge is amazing and the service is absolutely fantastic.

I had noticed that my gate was quite far away from the lounge and decided to honour the 30 minute rule printed on my boarding pass and proceeded to the gate early enough just to notice that there was a huge line in front of the gate area. I couldn't figure out if there was actually some priority line for Upper Class as the signs were kind of pushed away from the area and it seemed to have only one line. I decided to wait a little bit and see if the line gets actually shorter and noticed that some of the people just seemed to walk past the line. Well, after awhile I decided to do the same, which is quite unlike for me since I hate cutting the lines but it worked. Gate announced boarding quite quickly and after the children Upper Class was allowed to board. Note to myself: leave lounge only after they announce boarding in the lounge.

I found my seat and then the friendliness started ... it seemed that there was huge amount of people introducing themselves and wanting to help me with my coats and seat and in-flight treatment and welcome drink etc. So much attention that it was almost confusing [:D]

I had hoped for V:Port but I was flying with Ruby Tuesday (G-VXLG) and it is equipped with Odyssey. Later I found that actually Odyssey is quite nice system and is actually pretty much the same as I have used with SAS Business Class.

The whole flight went very smoothly, a little bit rough turbulence near San Francisco caused that most of my afternoon tea was actually on the plate and not in the cup but that is what happens on turbulence. Everything was just excellent.

It is always nice to come out the aircraft one of the first ones and be in the immigration lines before the lines actually form. Also my luggage was one of the first ones - it is so nice to see that priority works as specified.

Absolutely fantastic flight and experience. I am really glad that I decided to try Virgin after thinking it for a couple of years.
#324593 by Nottingham Nick
04 Jan 2006, 11:54
Glad the trip lived up to our hype, miikka. [;)]

Hope the rest of your VS flights live up to that high standard.

Nick
#324597 by Littlejohn
04 Jan 2006, 12:15
Glad loosing your VS Cherry was such a pleasurable experience.
#324630 by Mavrick
04 Jan 2006, 14:32
Good[y] T.R. Miikka glad you had a great[:D] flight now you gone V.S I hope you wont be going back[:D].
#324665 by Airbus340
04 Jan 2006, 17:12
Good to see your first virgin expeince was good one[:)]

Airbus340
#324783 by buns
04 Jan 2006, 21:39
Miikka

Nice TR[y][y]

As they always say, 'first impressions count' and it does seem as though VS have made an impression on you
#324811 by Richard28
04 Jan 2006, 22:32
You're unlucky to get G-VXLG, maybe V:port next time?!

Thanks for the TR!

Rich [:)]
#325032 by ChuckC
05 Jan 2006, 15:00
Great report, Miikka. Enjoyed reading where you noticed many little things that are special to the VS flyer -- difficult to define at times perhaps -- but which overall keep our loyalty to VS quite strong.

Oh, and now you have been bitten by the 'pointy bit' bug!

Chuck-
Virgin Atlantic