Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239763 by onionz
07 Jan 2006, 11:16
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Here's my report of my first flight on Xmas day.

There were five of us on this flight, all booked in PE. Four of us had S fares and one had a K (he had booked slightly earlier than us).

We knew getting to the airport would be interesting if we relied on public transport/a cab firm so we drove in two cars and parked at the long stay car park at Gatwick's south terminal. Other people must have had similar concerns, as it was crowded at the car park and we had to wait a fair while for an empty bus to the terminal.

Once inside, the terminal was packed out. All VS queues were horrific by normal standards - the Economy queue was snaking backwards and forwards and getting very close to the queues for the checkin desks on the opposite side. PE and UC had long queues and weren't moving fast.

Three of us - uncle, sister and myself - went to the ticket desk and waited to see if uncle could upgrade his K. He did, with cash (879), to a Z fare. As he paid for our tickets, my sister and I didn't want to abandon him in PE and upgrade to UC. But since he managed the upgrade, we went for a mileage upgrade and secured our own UC seats.

It took the ticket agent a fair while to sort our mileage upgrade out. We had paper tickets, so once upgraded, the agent stuck labels over the top of the fare basis (I think, from memory). Meanwhile, my parents had checked in at PE and my uncle at UC.

My sister and I began queuing for UC checkin and had to wait a least 20 minutes to get to a desk. At the desk, there was obviously some issue as the agent left her seat, jumped over the wall and went to the ticket desk for about 10 minutes. Perhaps it was during this discussion that our FC accounts were debited a SECOND time for the 20k miles - a fault I noticed while in LAS and which FC sorted out quickly to their credit.

We were finally checked in, and given 11A and 11K - uncle was in 10K so sat just in front of sister. We used the Fastrack security line which was slower than the normal one, and on the other side made our way to the duty free shop so I could grab a bottle of Remy Martin XO Excellence for 45 - bargain! Also had a voucher for 5 off when spending 50, so got a Paddington Bear for another 99p.

The queuing for the ticket agent and checkin had really eaten into the time we had left, so up to the Clubhouse for my shortest time in there ever! Ordered the Xmas version of the signature dish (exactly the same as the normal version, I thought) and a hot chocolate and apple juice. The hot choc was bizarre - the best description I can give is it was made like an espresso - small cup, small amount of intense liquid. When the server put it down, I actually thought it was an espresso and said 'Sorry, that was supposed to be a hot chocolate..' to which he confirmed it was. Needless to say, it was awful!

Rushed out of there in under 30 mins, made our way to gate 31, and saw straight away it was Ladybird G-VAST, so finally got Odyssey entertainment on a LGW plane!

Saw the Priority Boarding sign was sideways on, over to one side, doing no good whatsoever! WHY DON'T YOU USE IT AND PROVIDE PRIORITY BOARDING, VS?? Crazy.

Boarding had begun and there were large queues, which we joined and finally boarded. Had a glass of the new champagne and settled right in. Flight time was 10 hours 15 mins.

The usual FSM speech - 'drink alcohol in moderation...' - was extended to include a warning of what would happen if you DIDN'T drink in moderation which sounded a bit stern. This seems to be a problem on this route, as evidenced by the flight I took with mitchja in November, when the bar was shut in economy. Later on this flight, another warning was given when someone was caught smoking in one of the toilets.

No headsets were handed out until my sister requested one, at which point they handed them out to the whole cabin. Whoops, looks like someone forgot! Still, the crew were very nice and did a good job.

The freedom menu was a special Xmas version. Last year I flew on Xmas eve, and there was an insert in the normal menu with additional Xmas options. This time, a menu had been specially printed with additional Xmas graphics and seasonal choices.

The starters didn't look appealing, so I went straight for roast turkey and all the usual trimmings. (Brussel sprouts on an aircraft - is that wise?). This was nicely presented, was a very good size portion and tasted great. Top marks.

For dessert I again had the Xmas option which was Cranberry bread and butter pudding. This was more than acceptable, but not outstanding. With the meal I had the Shiraz which has been discussed recently on this board and noted as the only worthy choice. I certainly enjoyed it.

After dinner, I asked for a sleepsuit and an amenity kit. Whoops! Someone had forgotten to hand them out as well! Out came the tray of kits and they were handed out to the cabin. Mine had christmassy cuff links as the gift which were appreciated.

I was very tired indeed - had only had a couple of hours sleep the night before, so i was instantly snoozing away. Strangely I always, without fail, sleep on the way over to the west coast, but often can't on the night flight back. I think i'm generally a nocturnal animal.

I awoke in perfect timing for tea. When it was served, I happened to be sitting on my sister's ottoman so had tea with her, which also allowed me to chat with my uncle in the seat in front. It's way too easy to knock the seat controls whilst seated there.

I had a scone with cream and jam and a couple of cups of tea - all very good. Sister had the salmon sandwich. She tried a bit of the buffalo mozarella in the other sandwich and found it rather unpleasant.

Landing was upon us, leaving me just enough time to change back and avoid facing US immigration in my sleepsuit. Speaking of which, this was the quickest I have ever got through, with no questions asked at all.

Even more appealing, was the sight of a gentleman at the exit of the airport, holding up a sign with my uncle's name on it. Your limo awaits, ladies and gentlemen! Marvellous!
#325568 by Littlejohn
07 Jan 2006, 11:30
Thanks for the TR. Is this the first xmas day one we have had? Its amazing, I would not have expected the airport to be so busy as you describe - or were VS short staffed what with it being a bank holiday and all?
Why oh why do people still persist in smoking on a flight. I have nothing against it myself, so don't think I am putting my halo on. But can they not get it through their heads that IT IS AGAINST THE LAW BECAUSE IT IS DAMN DANGEROUS. Now where is the 'drongo' emoticon?
Anyway - interesting to see what a flight is like on crimbo day.

PS - when you looked out the window could you see a certain fatbloke whooshing round? He would have been wearing a uniform very similar to a VS cabin crew - bright red.
#325581 by HighFlyer
07 Jan 2006, 12:37
Great TR as always!

Glad you had a nice flight (even if service seemed a little under par) and a good time in Vegas - und luck in securing that upgrade [:D]
#325587 by onionz
07 Jan 2006, 12:49
Sailor - I don't think they were short-staffed. Every checkin desk was staffed, at least three people at all times at the ticket desk. Just a deluge of people that's all! Didn't see Santa - flight took off at 10.45, so I would have missed him I expect [:)]

Sarah - cheers, you're too kind! I think the only under par bits were at checkin really and even then not to any great degree.
#325590 by slinky09
07 Jan 2006, 12:57
Really good TR ... liked the sound of that lunch. Funny too, I find I can sleep going West but rarely coming back - the heat always gets me but also I quite like the decadence of sitting at the bar with a book, treats and a whiskey on the rocks in my sleep suit!
#325614 by mcuth
07 Jan 2006, 15:58
Cracking TR onionz, thanks [y]

Glad you got the upgrades sorted - the Xmas lunch sounds wonderful - I could eat Turkey & trimmings every day [:)]

Totally agree on the priority boarding at LGW - it's a nightmare (or at least, was last time I used it!). But Hot Chocolate in the CH? What are you playing at??? You know the way forward is alcohol [;)][;)]

Cheers

Michael
#325619 by ChuckC
07 Jan 2006, 16:42
Hey onion,
Excellent report. Have been waiting around to hear all about this trip! Didn't realize the whole family was heading to the States with you.

Sounds like the FSM may have been quite new on this trip; or, enduring a bout of forgetfulness?

Regards,
Chuck-
#325675 by onionz
07 Jan 2006, 21:06
Originally posted by mcuth
Cracking TR onionz, thanks [y]

Thank you very much kind sir!
Glad you got the upgrades sorted - the Xmas lunch sounds wonderful - I could eat Turkey & trimmings every day [:)]

Yes, this was a fine meal and I was starving so it went down a treat. [:D]
Totally agree on the priority boarding at LGW - it's a nightmare (or at least, was last time I used it!). But Hot Chocolate in the CH? What are you playing at??? You know the way forward is alcohol [;)][;)]

I think my family distracted me and made me forget what I was doing. Yes, that's what happened - all coming back to me now [:I]. Next time i'm in there it's going to be champagne all the way, promise. But I made up for it as soon as I boarded and didn't stop drinking until I landed back at LGW a week later, if that counts for anything?? [:)]

Originally posted by ChuckC
Hey onion,
Excellent report. Have been waiting around to hear all about this trip! Didn't realize the whole family was heading to the States with you.

Thanks. Yes a big herd of us went on a gambling expedition, but some of the party forgot their purpose for being there and went shopping while out there, day after day...still, I managed to avoid nearly all of that and concentrate on the job in hand [y]
Sounds like the FSM may have been quite new on this trip; or, enduring a bout of forgetfulness?

..or a bout of invisibility I think! I don't recall her saying a single word to me, and that's probably the first time on a LGW route in UC that's happened. Ahh well, they kept bringing me alcohol so I have little to complain about!
#325677 by onionz
07 Jan 2006, 21:10
Originally posted by slinky09
Really good TR ... liked the sound of that lunch. Funny too, I find I can sleep going West but rarely coming back - the heat always gets me but also I quite like the decadence of sitting at the bar with a book, treats and a whiskey on the rocks in my sleep suit!

Thanks.

That is decadent and therefore an excellent idea! I like to sit at the bar for at least some length of time - on this flight my sister and I sat there writing out our visa waiver forms whilst poking and scavenging around for drinks and nibbles. [:)]
#325687 by Scrooge
07 Jan 2006, 21:54
[/quote]
Thanks. Yes a big herd of us went on a gambling expedition, but some of the party forgot their purpose for being there and went shopping while out there, day after day...still, I managed to avoid nearly all of that and concentrate on the job in hand [y]
[quote]

let's see,there was Celine,Ave Q oh then I seem to remember us having to drag you into the Apple store kicking and screaming,then forcing you to check your e-mails and ebay listing for 30 mins...more flashbacks yet [:D]
#325691 by onionz
07 Jan 2006, 22:02
Originally posted by jetwet1

let's see,there was Celine,Ave Q oh then I seem to remember us having to drag you into the Apple store kicking and screaming,then forcing you to check your e-mails and ebay listing for 30 mins...more flashbacks yet [:D]

I managed to avoid nearly all of that

I think I did a reasonable job of staying with the important business! And I had to do something in the Apple store while you bought your cable!!

Jeez - how many more times will Celine be thrown in my face! [B)][:)] So I saw her twice - let's get on with our lives now!! [:D]
#325692 by Scrooge
07 Jan 2006, 22:08
As one day you will learn,when the wife ask's you to get a cable it is better just to go get it then have to here about it every 10 minutes.

Plus..now think deeply,we did get to see a couple of very nice sights while walking around..

The Celine thing....well I guess that will never die,kind of one of those things that will come up every now and again [:D]
#325696 by Littlejohn
07 Jan 2006, 22:27
As one day you will learn,when the wife ask's you to get a cable it is better just to go get it

Uh huh. So are you a legend or a mouse?
#325704 by buns
07 Jan 2006, 23:19
Onionz

Excellent TR[y][y]

Having been through Gatwick a few days before, I know exactly what you went through - perhaps BAA and VS could learn a trick or two from Disney on crowd management.

I suppose the Vegas flight is gettign a reputation and it is no wonder that crews are anxious at the start of any flight - as your flight was to prove with the smoking incident[V][V]

I wonder how much the Christmas cufflinks might go for on e-bay[}:)][}:)]
#325706 by Scrooge
07 Jan 2006, 23:41
Originally posted by sailor99
As one day you will learn,when the wife ask's you to get a cable it is better just to go get it

Uh huh. So are you a legend or a mouse?

uummm..squeek !

But at least (scraping the bottom of the barrel to save what male dignity I may have left) you will never see me do This
#325712 by HighFlyer
08 Jan 2006, 00:08
Now now girls ... lets all play nicely!!!
#325713 by Scrooge
08 Jan 2006, 00:13
You know the more I read about these LGW-LAS flight's the more I think if you want a nice relaxing flight you are better off going into LAX or SFO,between no V.Port,next to no upgrade chance's (unless your very lucky) everyone and their uncle ( no offence onionz uncle) using the bathroom,no IFBT and what seems to be the comstant party flight it seems that even with the UCS and no connection the better deal if with the other airports on the left coast?
#325735 by onionz
08 Jan 2006, 04:12
I think if you want to travel in Economy, it might be a more pleasant experience to travel the LAX/SFO routes instead. But my family were spread amongst PE and UC on the LAS route, there and back and everyone had a good flight. There's no visible disruption in the other cabins, the service is spot on, and I rather like being one of 14 in the UC cabin (whenever I manage the upgrade!).

Again, the lack of VPort is most annoying in Economy (I think) because you need it to distract you from your surroundings. I found alcohol/ipod/sleep is entertainment enough! And I got Odyssey on this flight which isn't so bad.

Essentially the 'party flight' problems affect Economy, and you never travel in that cabin, right? Also you say 'next to no upgrade chances' - it will be difficult doing them in advance, but I managed them both ways on this trip!

Having been through the LAS domestic terminal for the connection in November, I'm quite happy to take the direct option!
#325740 by shazam
08 Jan 2006, 09:13
Onionz

Thanks for the TR [:)]

I too can always manage to bob off westbound but not so easily eastbound. It's probably down to the fact that for weeks before a holiday I get very little sleep, trying to make sure everything at work is covered and general running around before we leave.
[:D]

I'm interested in your return trip from LAS - LGW and hope you will be posting a TR? We are making that trip at the end of Feb, we have seats 6a & k, and having never taken this route before I'm keen to know what it's like. I have checked out a couple of TRs from the past but they don't really mention the shared lounge, did you visit? What's your opinion?

Thanks
S
#325755 by onionz
08 Jan 2006, 12:13
Originally posted by shazam

I'm interested in your return trip from LAS - LGW and hope you will be posting a TR? We are making that trip at the end of Feb, we have seats 6a & k, and having never taken this route before I'm keen to know what it's like. I have checked out a couple of TRs from the past but they don't really mention the shared lounge, did you visit? What's your opinion?

OK, i'll do a TR for the return, you twisted my arm!

We didn't use the shared lounge for that trip since there were 5 of us, and we only had he means for 4 of us to get in. My first and only visit to that lounge was about 2 years ago, and I can only recall it was fairly busy and had a comprehensive bar. It's run by the airport and the airlines pay for each person they allow in. I therefore suspected we'd have a hard time blagging a 5th person in. It's more convenient than the other lounge option, though, which I'll describe in my TR...
#325761 by mcuth
08 Jan 2006, 14:07
Originally posted by onionz
I think my family distracted me and made me forget what I was doing. Yes, that's what happened - all coming back to me now [:I]. Next time i'm in there it's going to be champagne all the way, promise.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - a likely story [;)]

But I made up for it as soon as I boarded and didn't stop drinking until I landed back at LGW a week later, if that counts for anything?? [:)]

I suppose that gives you some slight redemption - but I expect better next time, as promised, k? [:D][:D]

Cheers

Michael
Virgin Atlantic