Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#239764 by jamie
07 Jan 2006, 12:03
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Arrived into JFK T8 from Miami and waited nearly 1.5 hours for the bags to arrive. Shocking really as this was eating into our time in the clubhouse. Took airtrain to T4 and checked in straightaway. There were 4 of us on the trip but 2 were travelling back in W.

Went to clubhouse and ordered the burger (as did most people in there) although I see it's not on the menu anymore but is one of the daily 'specials'. I guess it's a special because they run out a lot of the times?

Never really sure whether or not to tip in the clubhouse, especially as it's America (some do, some don't). Service was great, had plenty of time for a shower too, caught up on my emails and even had time for more food. Boarding was announced at 21.45 and we headed to security, as this CH is landside...

To our surprise, there was not the usual scrum to get through security. We were not allowed in the priority lane as they seemed to be rushing EL AL Pax through this lane but there were no queues so it didn't matter. Nearly forgot to pick up my duty free (too much wine in CH!)but remembered at the last minute. Usual shoe and belt carnival but I told them I had trainers not shoes and that was OK.

Boarded and took our seats 3&4K which we like. FSM handed out Carlos and amenity kit and I went and got changed into my Sleepsuit before take off knowing that after departure there would be the usual queues for the loo!

On the A343 the Bzone is snooze zone but I dont like it in there and was quite happy where I was. Plus, I dont sleep very well on the overnights back to Londonbecause its always too hot! I can always manage a couple of hours sleep on the way out though, which is odd.

This was my first experience of GNF. We didnt want to be on the VS10 but it had the cheapest Z fares when we booked. After take off I could see the pax on the left had side of the plane having their food orders taken and it wasnt until 45 minutes after takeoff that we had our drinks order taken. I opted for the snack and snooze option but didnt get the salad until 1.5hours after takeoff. We had been to the bar at this point to get our own drinks as we had got bored waiting and watching those on the left finish their dinner before we had even had a glass of water, infact, our friends sat in W were eating their meal before us.

Skymap not working again (not just my seat but the entire plane) and the FSM said it had been logged on the O/B flight. Didnt watch any films and decided to try and get some rest.

A zone was 2/3rds full and the bar was bust until I went to sleep. Think I managed an hours sleep when I was woken 1.5 hours from landing with my breakfast order.

I liked the food and had quite a lot to eat as wasnt going to revivals as our friends in W cant come in the lounge and I thought it wasnt fair to make them wait outside.

Had the impression that we did not have a dedicated member of crew looking after 4 seats as different people continually served us, where as on the O/B sector one crew member looked after us all the way. Still not sure about the GNF as it didnt seem any quicker to me and I was more surprised to be woken 1.5 hours before landing. Im sure it was less than that on my last flight?

Landed on time (or a bit early, not sure) and bags were on conveyor when we reached the baggage hall. Made us very happy after the internal flight the day before.

Home around 2pm and a couple of hours sleep helped me get through the rest of the day..and surprisingly no jet lag!! Last time I did the VS10 I felt awful for 2 days after.

Although I am quite critical it was a fantastic flight when compared to other airlines.
#325572 by Littlejohn
07 Jan 2006, 12:13
Thanks for the TR Jamie. Humm, sounds like service was a little slow. On GNF slow service seems odd - I thought the whole idea was for pax to be served quickly so they could get their heads down. I think being woken 1.5 hours before landing sounds about right to me - it gives you a chance to top up the caffine, have a bite, wash, get changed, etc. I wouldn't want less I have to say.

What did you mean by
and the bar was bust
I am sure you don't mean it had fallen over or something. Confused[?]
#325591 by jamie
07 Jan 2006, 13:00
Oops.. Meant Bar was Busy!
#325595 by HighFlyer
07 Jan 2006, 13:14
Thanks for the TR Jamie

Yes, AFAIK, it has always been 90 minutes before landing that the breakfast wake-up starts. I now ask not to be woken up - although one of my last flights gave me 10 minutes to change out of my sleepsuit before i would be wearing it to customs!

Glad you had a good flight, eben though service, and the GNF did not seem to be doing what it should.

And very kind of you, i must say, to give Revivals a miss due to your PE friends!
#325701 by buns
07 Jan 2006, 23:05
jamie

Thanks for the TR[y][y]

went and got changed into my Sleepsuit before take off

When travelling UC I like to do the same[y]

In flight service seems a bit hit and miss though[n][n]
#325768 by ChuckC
08 Jan 2006, 15:01
Hi Jamie,

Well done; good report.[y]

That bit about the luggage delay at JFK reminded me of a January trip there last year when I waited 3 hours for my bag. The baggage system had frozen, literally. The colleague I accompanied seemed rather nonplussed by the whole affair and so we waited, waited some more. Of course I didn't have a pressing engagement (the Virgin CH!) but still, a bit much.

Chuck-
Virgin Atlantic