Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240058 by Stevenla
18 Jan 2006, 20:06
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
VS 024 LAX-LHR (Upper)
Sunday, January 15, 2006

Douglas and Poppy dropped me off at terminal 2 at about 6:30pm. Check in was rather simple very professional ticket agent; I think he was a Continental employee. He took my bag, explained the VIP lounge situation (share with Maple Leaf) and sent me on my way. Security was also painless and relatively fast. After a quick walk through Duty Free, I headed up to the lounge. I asked the Virgin rep at the desk if the Good Night Service had been discontinued on 024. She had no clue what I was talking about. She did give me a menu with a few snacks on it. I decided to wait till we were on board to eat. This lounge is sparsely furnished with the basic wine, booze and champagne available. Oh there were a few crackers and cheese to pick from. The best thing I can say about the lounge is that it is quiet. I arrived in the lounge at 7:05 and boarding is at 8:15. Made myself a bucks fizz.

Boarding was simple and I found 3A right away. While I was getting organized, I was offered champagne or mimosa I had another bucks fiz; it was served in a proper champagne flute and then only because I asked, the flight attendant took my coat to hang When I looked at the seating plane earlier today, the UC cabin was only half full. Today, it is 99% full lots of last minute upgrades apparently. Funny to watch the big old macho men say no to the offer of the sleep suit and then proceed to sleep in their street clothes totally wrinkling them.

I must say Im not impresses with the sleep-abilitity of the seats I tosses and turned and couldnt get comfortable ANYWHERE AND it is way too hot in there and theres no room for my arm- very uncomfortable!. Flight attendants were very pleasant. Nothing was set up in the bar they say it was because of turbulence. I wonder?

Had a nice neck, shoulder massage. They told me the back of the plane was empty.

Had salad for a starter followed by an excellent chicken in tarragon sauce with asparagus and carrots, followed by cheese plate a- good gorgongoza ..Good Night Service is now gone forever on 024 full Freedom Menu selections. The flight attendant seemed pleased also said that the passengers had complained that it was too rushed.

Overall a nice experience not spectacular.
#328135 by jamie
18 Jan 2006, 21:21
Shame you experience was not spectacular. If you are taking a daylight flight soon you may notice a bit of a difference.

I'll always have a sleeper suit. I hate sleeping in my clothes!
#328158 by Stevenla
18 Jan 2006, 22:53
Am leaving London on VS023 - 3pm departure.....I hope the experience is better going home! Anyway - not complaining, just not spectacular!

Thanks for the note, Steven

Originally posted by jamie
Shame you experience was not spectacular. If you are taking a daylight flight soon you may notice a bit of a difference.

I'll always have a sleeper suit. I hate sleeping in my clothes!
#328166 by Richard28
18 Jan 2006, 23:00
Thanks for the TR Steven

The bar does seem quieter on night flights, but I've never seen it not set up.

I too wish you a pleasant return, and a great stay in the UK (assuming that is where you are!!)

Rich.
#328170 by buns
18 Jan 2006, 23:06
Steven

Thanks for the TR[y][y]

Good Night Service is now gone forever on 024 Ð full Freedom Menu selections. The flight attendant seemed pleased also Ð said that the passengers had complained that it was too rushed.

Good to hear it[;)][;)]

thanks once again
#328220 by ChuckC
19 Jan 2006, 04:19
Steven,
Been looking forward to your first TR and so was a bit disappointed that you didn't have a '10' flight experience. Enjoy the UK and we look forward to reading your return TR.

Best from your Orange County 'neighbor',
Chuck-
#328294 by Mavrick
19 Jan 2006, 13:12
Good T.R.[y] when I slept in U.C. it was the best sleep I ever had In the air.[:D]
#328300 by mike-smashing
19 Jan 2006, 13:43
Originally posted by mavrick
Good T.R.[y] when I slept in U.C. it was the best sleep I ever had In the air.[:D]

I've found that if I am genuinely tired (or exhausted), I'll sleep, but otherwise, any sleeping on a plane presents a challenge to me.

Cheers,
Mike
#328354 by Stevenla
19 Jan 2006, 19:28
Last summer we flew to Paris on AF in first class - it was the second time we've used that service. The bed/seat was far more comfortable - guess I'm just too picky!

Steven

Originally posted by mavrick
#328355 by Stevenla
19 Jan 2006, 19:29
Thanks Richard - yes, I'm in London for a week of playing and shopping - and having a fantastic time. I love this city.......

Steven

Originally posted by Richard28
Thanks for the TR Steven

The bar does seem quieter on night flights, but I've never seen it not set up.

I too wish you a pleasant return, and a great stay in the UK (assuming that is where you are!!)

Rich.
#328434 by Stevenla
20 Jan 2006, 01:05
Hello Chuck - thanks for the note -- yes, I'll be sure to 'file' a trip report on Sunday concernign my trip home.

Cheers, Steven

Originally posted by ChuckC
Steven,
Been looking forward to your first TR and so was a bit disappointed that you didn't have a '10' flight experience. Enjoy the UK and we look forward to reading your return TR.

Best from your Orange County 'neighbor',
Chuck-
#328452 by slinky09
20 Jan 2006, 09:07
Cheers Steven - agree with you totally about the Maple leaf lounge, simple spacious and quiet and that's it.

I'm presuming you had a J2000 seat not UCS? On UCS I'm often amused by how many people can't work out that the arm rest can be lowered to increase the room too!
#328457 by Stevenla
20 Jan 2006, 09:22
Hello - No, I actually had a suite - and still found it uncomfortable. Steven

Originally posted by slinky09
Cheers Steven - agree with you totally about the Maple leaf lounge, simple spacious and quiet and that's it.

I'm presuming you had a J2000 seat not UCS? On UCS I'm often amused by how many people can't work out that the arm rest can be lowered to increase the room too!
#328466 by easygoingeezer
20 Jan 2006, 10:26
I found I slept easier on the old seat to be honest, the suite bed does feel a bit like sleeping on the living room floor behind a sofa, lol. i am going to buy my own travel pillow.

the seat part of it was amazing for me though
#328591 by n/a
20 Jan 2006, 21:37
I've slept in UA First flat bed, BA First flat bead and VS UCS and can honestly say that the VS experience was best due to the width at the shoulder area...

That said, the one-and-a-half Ambiens I take for each West-to-East leg could probably cause me to find sleeping on a plank in the overhead bin to be a comfortable experience ;-)

GJ
#328672 by xenole
21 Jan 2006, 13:22
Quick questions about those sleep suits.......

Are they technically a pair of pyjamas that you wear over your clothes (or do you take off say your trousers, shirt etc)?
#328686 by onionz
21 Jan 2006, 16:02
Originally posted by xenole

Are they technically a pair of pyjamas that you wear over your clothes (or do you take off say your trousers, shirt etc)?

The idea is to prevent your clothes getting creased, keep them fresh etc..so most people would get changed into the sleepsuit. Of course you're free to do as you please [:)].

Quick tip - most people use the restroom to do this, but some (e.g. Decker) don't [:D].
#328692 by Richard28
21 Jan 2006, 17:44
Originally posted by xenole

The cabin is normally hot enough without an extra layer of clothes!!

trousers and shirt come off in my case!
Virgin Atlantic