Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#240153 by rikntracy
22 Jan 2006, 20:29
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
BRILLIANT! After a sort hop from Roanoke, VA we arrived at Dulles International. We had already checked our luggage in Virginia, and decided to go ahead and get our VS flight straightened out as early as possible so we could relax and wander around the terminal, get a snack, etc... We arrived at the gate about three hours before our scheduled flight time of 7:15. There were a few people in the seating area but no one was around the counter, which made sense because it was so early. Now bear in mind that all this time I have been grappling with the DO WE UPGRADE TO UCS scenario because I have heard that it is so wonderful. It was for this reason that we had not done the online check in that morning. I guess I was hoping for a good UCS deal, and even though I knew that PE would be just fine you still dream about these things [:I]. So there we are at the gate and I wandered over to the window and there she was waiting for us - Miss Behavin'! 'Oh honey, it's G-VWKD!' I said, not realizing that my husband was no longer right behind me! I turned around and three people were looking at me like I was nuts! I was just so excited though! I had checked the seat maps on Expedia to make sure there were some UCS seats left, which there were, and also noticed that economy was almost full. About this time my hubby walked up and said that he was going to ask the lady in the Clubhouse when the check in might start. He came right back and said she would check us in. Nice touch I thought. So we went in there and I got to see the Clubhouse. There were a few people in there and it was neat and comfortable looking. I peeped around the corner from the reception desk because I knew I wasn't really supposed to be in there! The lady began checking us in and then stopped and looked at us for a second and said, 'Would you like an upgrade to Upper Class?' We asked her how much and she said NOTHING! Well I was just about to pop at this point [y]. We said, 'Umm...ok!' She went on to explain that economy had been overbooked and some people needed to be moved. I asked her how do they decide who gets upgraded and she said it normally goes by Flying Club status and then if they still need to move people then they will pick others. I wasn't about to argue with her! She handed us our boarding passes and said the only catch was that we couldn't use the lounge but we didn't care at all about that. We thanked her and left the Clubhouse.

Boarding was scheduled to begin at 6:15, which it did. They first called persons needing assistance and those with children and everything seemed to be moving along ok. Then other people started getting up and standing in line and we did, too, figuring that we would be called next. There were two lines of people being processed and although there was a priority boarding sign at the front, it was difficult to tell which line it was. So we just got in the shorter line and got through quickly. I never did hear any other boarding announcements before we got on the plane. It was a bit disorganized but I can't say that we had to wait. We boarded and were going to be in seats 5A and 6A. I always liked a window seat! UCS filled up and I assume the rest of the plane did too, judging by the number of people in the seating area.

As soon as we were seated we were offered a drink so we settled in quickly, had a look at the menu and checked out the amenity kit. We did seem to sit there a little longer than I thought we might but that was ok. Right before take off I looked down the aisle and noticed that we were a few seats away from John Kerry. I'm not big into politics but it was exciting to have a celebrity of sorts on board and being in UCS the whole thing seemed quite surreal anyway!

We actually took off about 8:00. The captain came on and apologized for the delay. He said that the check in staff had been outsourced and there had been some delays getting everyone sorted out as a result. We took off and after about 30 minutes or so the V:port was turned on. It took a little while to figure out how to drive it but once we did it was fine and there were no problems. As soon as we reached our cruising altitude we were given hot towels and sleep suits, and from that point on it was a continuous stream of food, drink and anything else we needed! The crew were absolutely brilliant. Right after take off the beauty therapist came around and asked me if I wanted a treatment. I asked her what could I have! So we went down the list and I picked a back/shoulder/head massage. She said there were so many treatments booked that she may not get to me and would pick people at random. I knew she'd pick me though, because my luck was running so great at that point! And she did [:D].

For dinner I had a salad, some sweet onion soup, butternut squash ravioli, and a chocolate pyramid for dessert. My husband had a chicken dish with asparagus for his entree. I have to say that I felt the food was quite good! There were good portions and it was not overcooked...I had no complaints at all. They brought around snacks at various points. I enjoyed some stuffed olives and assorted cheese and crackers. We were brought anything we asked for immediately. One of the crew put my bed down and after getting into my sleepsuit, which was really soft and comfortable, I got my head down and drifted for a little while until the nice lady woke me up for my massage [ii] I wasn't too sure about the sleepsuit at first but after John Kerry put his on I figured yeah why not?! The massage was very nice and she seemed to take her time with it. There were a couple of crew in the treatment room but my back was to them and they were quiet so it didn't bother me. After the massage I was even more relaxed and staggered back to bed! I don't even know what time it was at this point. I drifted for a while until breakfast. Yay - more food! This time it was a muffin with melon and yogurt, coffee and orange juice. Again, everything was good, the fruit was fresh and tasty and it was good coffee.

This was only my third transatlantic flight and one out of only a handful of flights in my lifetime, but it was just such a wonderful experience. The plane, being brand new, was immaculate. I was comfortable, well fed and given plenty of attention without being worried. The flight itself was smooth except for some mild turbulence on two occassions during the night, but the 6 1/2 hours passed quickly and perfectly. As the plane turned for its final approach I looked down at the lights of London, the V:port's Pink Floyd drifting in my ears and just thought what a perfect way to begin a vacation. The V:port stayed on until about 10 minutes before landing. The landing itself was smooth as silk and we of course disembarked first and made our way into Heathrow. We stood in immigration for about 40 minutes, got up to the front and talked briefly to the agent. He asked us if we were on vacation, looked at my husband's passport and told us that we could have gone through the UK line since he was a UK citizen. Oops. Oh well, next time we'll know. So it was off to get our rental car and on to the beginning of a fantastic trip to Bournemouth and the West Country!

I have to say that is truly the right way to go, and once you turn left......[oo]
#328830 by preiffer
22 Jan 2006, 20:35
Thanks rikntracy [y]

Great result on the free upgrade.
#328834 by Decker
22 Jan 2006, 20:55
Fantastic result - thanks for reminding us of the first time experience. Enjoy the UK. [:D]
#328837 by Richard28
22 Jan 2006, 21:12
Great TR - sounds like a great day - congrats on the upgrade!

Did you manage a peek at the PE section on G-VWKD? - this plane has a few rows of new PE/Y class seating, and no v-flyer has seen it yet!
#328841 by Scrooge
22 Jan 2006, 21:15
Oh the magic feeling of an OP-Up,nothing like it,happy you had a good flight.
#328850 by rikntracy
22 Jan 2006, 21:35
Did you manage a peek at the PE section on G-VWKD? - this plane has a few rows of new PE/Y class seating, and no v-flyer has seen it yet!

No, I didn't[:(]. I had every intention of taking pictures because I knew everyone would like to see them but once I got on, umm... I sorta forgot!

I had hoped that we would be on her for the return but we weren't.....sorry[:(].
#328857 by Richard28
22 Jan 2006, 22:04
Originally posted by rikntracy
No, I didn't[:(]. I had every intention of taking pictures because I knew everyone would like to see them but once I got on, umm... I sorta forgot!

I had hoped that we would be on her for the return but we weren't.....sorry[:(].

No worries - with the upgrade I would have forgotten too!!
#328858 by buns
22 Jan 2006, 22:05
rikntracy

Thanks for the TR[y][y] - Your sense of enjoyment clearly comes across.

to me and would pick people at random. I knew she'd pick me though, because my luck was running so great at that point! And she did .

LOL - Do you offer advice for those intending Vegas[:w][:w][:w]
#328859 by mitchja
22 Jan 2006, 22:07
Excellent TR thanks [:D]

Glad you had a fantastic flight and hope your enjoyed your vacation.

Regards
#328874 by onionz
22 Jan 2006, 22:45
What a great TR - full of positive notes. Thanks!
#328875 by HighFlyer
22 Jan 2006, 22:48
Great TR - and even better news for you on the upgrade!!

'Oh honey, it's V-WKD!' I said, not realizing that my husband was no longer right behind me! I turned around and three people were looking at me like I was nuts!

Oh yes, thats been me before! [:)]
#328892 by honey lamb
22 Jan 2006, 23:41
Great TR! Thanks and congrats on the Op-up. Isn't it great?

It's a pity you couldn't have enjoyed the delights of the Clubhouse. The rest of it is as nice as the person you met at the door! [:D] We met the manager of the Clubhouse - a lovely lady originally from Northern Ireland - and she was just super, as were the rest of the staff. The only downside of the IAD Clubhouse was that there was nothing on the menu for my son and I had to go to Fudruckers to get something for him
#328898 by rikntracy
22 Jan 2006, 23:55
Thanks to all - it truly was fantastic[:D]

buns - I think that upgrade took all of my luck as I did NOT win the lottery while I was over there[?]
Virgin Atlantic