Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#261541 by roadrunner
08 Dec 2009, 03:20
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Ho Hum. The Boston flight, formerly 747, VPort, top drawer--has become Odyssey, 340-300 ancient craft spade and bucket if you're not in UC.

We weren't--but not for lack of trying. I am personally on a boycott of using hard won miles to upgrade when the upgrade is only achievable via Most Expensive Ticket, plus fees. So far, that has meant--no upgrade. I asked at check-in (after finally locating the ticket desk at Heathrow--many helpful Virgin staff wearing red, mysteriously few passengers), could they please check to see what an upgrade cost using miles. Read chapter and verse (understandably) that we were in K class, an upgrade was $250 change fee, plus dif in K-S fare plus 20,000 miles. Said understandably thanks, but no thanks.

Easily said but then no CH, no great meal, warm shower, good fizz--I won't go on. I still think using miles should be just that--using miles, and not having to purchase a flex ticket you don't want/need.

Gate posted just after boarding time--asked gate agent re bulkheads, she took our tix, and gave them back--with bulkhead seat change. Yeah. Boarded--and although we had offered miles to upgrade on a sparsely filled UC flight--UC mysteriously and suddenly-- full. Hmmm.

Glass fizz duly handed out. Seats wrinkled and well used, toilets scuzzy (and UC was worse than Y). Drinks orders shortly after take-off but neighbr asked for fizz again and told no. Took seat foot rest cushions from overhead (no one else in bulkhead got them), raided UC mag bank (slim pickings) and waited til video came on.

Odyssey--again. And Odyssey--stinks. Few films, loop plays and none had not seen, of interest. And my screen was vaguely upright until it collapsed and I had to ask for another round of yellow crime scene tape to hold it steady against inevitable sag. The first round of tape was clearly from the outward journey and the FA cheerily commented on how tacky it looked, that he'd reported it and it should have been repaired when it came in at Heathrow. V Cheery but not enormously helpful.Gave up video watching due to inability to see screen which sagged back to my calves, and looked out window until asked to close window curtain so pax could watch video.
Okay. This 340-300 was well overdue for a refit. How does Virgin reckon charging the same price for a flight on a well fit plane--versus one--that isn't?

Dinner though was GOOD. A paneer curry, well brewed tea, hold the gu. Slept through ice cream--but not Bailey's. A baby in the back was very unhappy and voiced his disapproval of planes, flight, the food and the company, and possibly his removal from UK to US, hour after hour, incredibly tenacious in voicing his misery, poor boy. Poor parents, poor pax.

Route was northerly (according to my flight map down by my socks)--Ireland, just south of Iceland, through northern Canada and then a circle up South Coast, full moon, Gate 8A/TE. Taxi, Boston traffic,home.

Upshot? Not a great VS experience--safe (paramount concern of course) but not cutting edge. BA does far better on this route. If VS have now consigned their formerly brilliant 747 Boston route to B and S--my vote goes elsewhere. Phooey.

RR
[?]