Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#941927 by vic110
03 Mar 2018, 22:36
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
We decided to take an extra trip to the sunshine state due to the bad weather in the UK since christmas and I had 2 amex premium vouchers to use. I was a bit nervous about this journey as our last few flights have been in upper class and once you've turned left on the plane anything else is a bit of a disappointment.
Well a few days before our journey I started with the dreaded lurgy that I'd managed to avoid over christmas. I really didn't feel well on the morning of the flight so really wasn't looking forward to it. Check in was quick and efficient and even security was pretty quick -- well for terminal 2 anyway.
We had a quick breakfast was made our way to the gate where there seemed to be lots of off duty crew waiting to board. Boarding was quick and we were welcomed on board with a glass of fizzy wine. The seat was pretty comfy, even when the person in front reclined her seat all the way almost as soon as the seatbelt sign came off. No water on the seat but we were given a bottle of water with the meal. The food was pretty good, I had the cottage pie and although I didn't really feel like eating much what I did eat was pretty tasty. The seat was in good condition and we were sat on the back row with the tiolets behing us,we had full recline and were not disturbed by the toilet.
I actually managed a snooze in my comfy seat and I never ever sleep on a plane, even with a lie flat bed, but this may have been due to all the medication a had taken to try and make me feel better. I soon learned that flying with an ear and sinus infection is not a great idea. On the plus side though I think the person in the seat in front may have caught some of my germs but serves her right for invading my space ! ha ha.
It was a full aircraft and it was the longest flight ever, it took almost 10hrs and was quite bumpy at times. I think the storms in USA may have had something to do with that. We landed at 5:30 and we were 1st off the plane and into an empty immigration hall. We had to wait a while for our bags but were soon in the garage collecting our car and on our way to the hotel.
All in all it was a good flight and the crew worked hard to make sure everyone was happy and the FSM was pro-active during the flight. Even though there was a lot of off duty crew on board the working crew obviously knew them but didn't neglect the passengers to talk to their friends.
I think the days of cheap upper class seats are long gone now and I can't justify spending £1000's extra for upper class seats when it is such a good deal when using amex vouchers for premium economy. I think premium economy is a good service and I wouldn't worry about flying premium again.
I need to spend some money on my credit card now to build up my points as the only trouble with reward seats is no miles are earned.

Thanks for reading
#941933 by hiljil
04 Mar 2018, 11:08
Thank you for your TR. So pleased your worries about PE were unfounded .
Hope you recovered sufficiently to enjoy your trip and that the inbound flight didn’t disappoint.