Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#942567 by dickydotcom
02 Apr 2018, 14:48
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Unable to get any Upper flight on the Saturday we were due to leave South Carolina we decided to fly on the Sunday and have a day in the quaint Florida town of Green Cove Springs, just south of Jacksonville. And very pleasant it was too. So after a very leisurely drive from our B&B we arrived at Orlando far too early for our 17.25 flight.
There was already a queue forming at the main check-in desk and no staff at that or the Upper desk opposite.
We went off round the corner and found some seats and had a coffee. We could see the tail of the queue from where we were and when it started to move we went over to the Upper desk.
Ground staff were directing people from the main queue to the Upper desk and we had a short queue before we were checked in.
We made our way over to security and had some sort of priority pass and went straight through. No taking off shoes or Jackets and laptop left in my holdall. Never had that before it's usually double scans especially for Mrs D
Up to the Sky Lounge and settled in a nice corner and got chatting to a couple in the seats opposite.
I was quite pleased with the food. I had a bowl of soup followed by a plate of chicken and egg salad. Mrs D just had the salad. Mrs D elected to have a G & T, but they didn't have any slimline tonic so she rejected it and I drank it. I went back for a glass of Prosecco, $9 and they don't take cash.
We wandered off to the gate about 4.30 and they were soon boarding assisted passengers quickly followed by Upper.
Because we were in 6A & K I like to get on fairly early to get locker space. 7A was last on and kept his bag under the foot rest. (Until the middle of the night when I got up for wee and tripped over it because he'd left it in the middle of the aisle!)
We each had a glass of Champagne followed by a glass of Champagne and settled down for the flight. 221 on board and 17 staff. We pushed back pretty much on time and got to the end of the runway when the captain told us that the control tower had decided the wind has changed and we now have to taxi to the other end. Meanwhile 2 or 3 other planes have got there first and we finally take off just before 6 p.m.
One of our flight attendants was doing her first trip in Upper and asked us to be patient. She was actually quite efficient. My only criticism would be that in such a small cabin with only 14 seats and most of them couples there would only be seven or eight names of passengers. It would have felt so much more personal if they we used in stead of 'my darling,' or 'my love.' Yes seriously that's who I became.
We both chose a G & T for pre dinner drinks.
Choice of starters:
Sweetcorn and chilli soup,
Blue cheese apple and walnut salad,
Togarashi prawns,
For the starter Mrs D chose an blue cheese, apple and walnut salad. The dressing was already applied and it was so vinegary that she could not eat it.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/ ... 0yhyoq.jpg
I went for the Togarashi prawns, which were delicious.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/ ... mqtvic.jpg
For the main course the choice was:
Beef fillet,
Teriyaki salmon,
Paneer makhani curry,
Grilled chicken rainbow salad,
Mrs D chose the Beef fillet and said it was lovely,
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/ ... chhnge.jpg
while I had the Teriyaki salmon which was also delicious.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/ ... gw3ita.jpg
We soon converted to bed mode and settled for a very bumpy ride. ETA was 6.15 a.m. and I think the captain was holding her back a bit because there is no landing at Gatwick before 6 a.m.
I got up in the night for a trip to the bathroom and as mentioned the nice man in 7A had not stowed his back pack. Fortunately all I did was a bit of a silly walk for a few steps.
Just after 5 a.m the cabin lights came on and I was the first to convert back to seating mode and stow the bedding.
I only mention this because i was waiting for my light breakfast of muesli, fresh fruit and yogurt while everyone else was served. I still waited and when the crew started to collect dishes from the other passengers I walked down to the galley to point out I still had not been served. I had clearly been forgotten, but my breakfast was brought soon and it was quite refreshing. Mrs D ordered a cooked breakfast and poked it about a bit deciding it was not edible. "Why do you keep ordering it? You know it will be cr*p." says I.
We did land at 6.15 and were soon off the plane and through security. Our bags came out among the first and we walked through an empty customs hall. I noticed a sign about picking up the phone if you want to declare something.
Our taxi had just pulled into the car park, so we wheeled the cases over and were soon on our way home.
We have already booked the apartment and our outbound flight for next year. Flying into Atlanta instead of Orlando because Upper Flights are available. It is also nearer to our destination.
Note in April diary to start looking for the return flights.

Dick D
#942568 by David
02 Apr 2018, 15:19
Thanks for the TR's - so want to be heading across the pond rather than sitting here looking at snow falling :-( but can't even get logged in at the moment !

David
#942570 by buns
02 Apr 2018, 16:25
Dicky
Thanks for the TR - at least you were in Upper for your return ;-)

Looks like the UC experience back from MCO is on par for the current VS service delivery. I agree, it could be so much better with a small cabin, yet FSMs appear to not to want to make the effort :-( Shame when you pay out so much dosh.

I am more inclined to opt for a via JFK or ATL when we book our autumn trip (sales permitting :D )

Thanks once again

buns
#942571 by hiljil
02 Apr 2018, 16:37
Thank you for your interesting TR. You say you’ve booked your outbound but not inbound yet. I always thought that this was a much more expensive way of booking flights and have therefore waited for both legs before booking. Have I been wrong all these years ?! :-O Please Help, someone !
#942572 by dickydotcom
02 Apr 2018, 17:08
hiljil wrote:Thank you for your interesting TR. You say you’ve booked your outbound but not inbound yet. I always thought that this was a much more expensive way of booking flights and have therefore waited for both legs before booking. Have I been wrong all these years ?! :-O Please Help, someone !

This year we paid money and that would be an expensive way to do it.
Next year we are using up our reward miles.
In order to bag the reward seats early you can either book a dummy return date and change it later, at no cost for one change, or just book them separately which we are doing.

Dick D
#942573 by dickydotcom
02 Apr 2018, 17:17
buns wrote:Dicky
Thanks for the TR - at least you were in Upper for your return ;-)

Looks like the UC experience back from MCO is on par for the current VS service delivery. I agree, it could be so much better with a small cabin, yet FSMs appear to not to want to make the effort :-( Shame when you pay out so much dosh.

I am more inclined to opt for a via JFK or ATL when we book our autumn trip (sales permitting :D )

Thanks once again

buns

FSM? I did hear that there was one on board but I never saw him.
Dick D
#942578 by mitchja
02 Apr 2018, 18:38
Thanks for the TR.

I've noticed on my last 2 VS flights in Premium that the FSM now seems to help out quite a bit with the cabin service in Premium Economy. Not sure if that's the same though on all routes / aircraft type though? (It was an A333 outbound and B789 inbound).

It seems crew numbers on each flight are at all all time low now (though still within CAA regulations).
#942585 by Traveller2
02 Apr 2018, 19:23
Why is it always so bumpy flying home from MCO? Coming back last November, it was so turbulent that most of the dinner trays near us in the economy cabin ended up in the aisles, people were screaming and the little lad next to us was chanting "We're going to die, we're going to die". I have never had turbulence quite so bad and at one stage I did think the lad could be right! After a very long half an hour, when it finally started to calm down, the captain came on to apologise and said there was nothing whatsoever he could do about it. By this time my travel companion and myself were shaking with fright, freezing cold and trying not to cry. We get turbulence virtually every time we fly home from there but this was in a totally different league.
#942610 by Kevshev
03 Apr 2018, 18:11
Traveller2 wrote:Why is it always so bumpy flying home from MCO? Coming back last November, it was so turbulent that most of the dinner trays near us in the economy cabin ended up in the aisles, people were screaming and the little lad next to us was chanting "We're going to die, we're going to die". I have never had turbulence quite so bad and at one stage I did think the lad could be right! After a very long half an hour, when it finally started to calm down, the captain came on to apologise and said there was nothing whatsoever he could do about it. By this time my travel companion and myself were shaking with fright, freezing cold and trying not to cry. We get turbulence virtually every time we fly home from there but this was in a totally different league.

I think a lot of it is due to the jet stream. Many airlines use the high winds from west to east to save fuel costs and you are basically blown home. Hence why the flight time is much shorter on the way back. I must admit when the pilot comes on the tannoy saying the flight time is around 7 hours I fear the worse :-O
Virgin Atlantic