Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#942854 by Seany93
14 Apr 2018, 16:34
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
I’ve been reading the TR’s for months now so thought it only fair that I posted one myself...

We got the train down to Gatwick the night before and stopped off at the BLOC hotel, which was more than adequate for us with it being very close to a landslide pub and also very close for the shuttle the following morning to get over to the north terminal.

We headed over quite early to check in and then made a line for the premium security channel. We didn’t realise we had this with the ticket so that was nice surprise and we were in duty free in no time.

Headed for the NO1 lounge next - we used the two free passes from my AMEX gold lounge club card, but must add that I paid £5 each to ‘guaraantee’ our place. It’s a little cheeky for my liking but I was glad I did it as we saw quite a few people getting turned away.

I’ve read quite a few bad reviews of that lounge but I have to say that it was great for us. It was nice and clean, the breakfast buffet was all really fresh and we grabbed a nice table by the window. I probably wouldn’t pay the standard entry of £32 (I think?) but for £15 with Amex gold/lounge club I’d be more than happy.

We headed down to the gate at about 11:40. Boarding took quite a while due to a few passengers needing special assistance, so no issues there. Once we did get on the plane (pretty woman I believe) we headed straight upstairs and into our seats which were 24 H and K.

I’ve had the pleasure of sittting in the bubble before, in economy, and I liked the quiet cabin. Then the back row of PE seemed like the best idea for the guilt free reclining. With 418 people on board I really did think we had some offf the best seats on the plane for the 9 & a half hour flight.

Firstly I should say that I’ve only ever flown economy, so this was my first time in a premium cabin.... and I was super impressed!! I thought the hard product was great. I had more enough room in every direction, and once I’d reclined my seat it was even better.

The meal service happened pretty much as soon as the seat belt sign was off, which was a little early for me after my big breakfast in the lounge, but, I didn’t say no! Lasagne and a sticky toffee slice were served up and they were both really good. I’ve never been a fan of airplane food but I really enjoyed the PE dining experience. The little things like using actual cutlery, and proper glasses and plates really did make a difference for me. After this I settled in my seat to watch a few films and have a few whiskeys whilst the next 8hours passed by.

It was a really smooth flight and it passed in no time -no doubt it was due to the seat! Landed on time (I think) and was soon in sandals lounge awaiting our ride to Montego Bay.

Overall it was a great experience, both on the ground and in the air. The two crew who looked after us upstairs (M**** and C**** I believe) did a great job of making sure we were looked after at all stages.

Obviously it’s a price sensitive thing, but for the money I paid for the upgrade, I’d do it again in a heartbeat!
Last edited by honey lamb on 16 Apr 2018, 19:04, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Edited to remove staff names as per forum rules
#942855 by tomthumb
14 Apr 2018, 18:20
Thanks for the trip report and nice to know that the flight was a good one
#942936 by LucyLu
18 Apr 2018, 11:24
I think the PE product is excellent . I've flown UC a few times and think PE is better value all round (but I do like the clubhouse!). It is such a shame there won't be PE on the VS flights to Barbados which I use for the rest of this year. I won't be upgrading to UC, so it is going to be EC for me - yuck! (and probably have to pay for additional luggage as we are still taking stuff out for our apartment - by the time I have paid for an exit seat and an additional case I would rather be paying for PE!)

I managed to get a couple of passes for the No1 lounge at Gatwick for £20 each in an offer they had last year, and again I think that offers really good value for money - a coffee, some fruit, a bacon roll and 3 glasses of prosecco wold cost more than that in the airport
#942944 by buns
19 Apr 2018, 04:20
Thank you for a super inaugural TR.

What shines through is your excitement of the PE Cabin, and like may V Flyers, you have caught the bug :D (with no turning back ;-) ).

The Site "My Gatwick" often offers some good deals on Lounge passes and sometimes make them preferable to chancing a Priority Pass or other means of corporate entrance - which as you say cannot be guaranteed (especially at Gatwick where EasyJet is now based).

buns
#942955 by lorelai
19 Apr 2018, 10:27
Really enjoyed this trip report, thank you, sounds like you really enjoyed the experience.

In Premium Economy, can you have as many drinks as you want (within reason obviously!!)?
#942964 by Seany93
19 Apr 2018, 17:20
buns wrote:Thank you for a super inaugural TR.

What shines through is your excitement of the PE Cabin, and like may V Flyers, you have caught the bug :D (with no turning back ;-) ).

The Site "My Gatwick" often offers some good deals on Lounge passes and sometimes make them preferable to chancing a Priority Pass or other means of corporate entrance - which as you say cannot be guaranteed (especially at Gatwick where EasyJet is now based).

buns

Definitely caught the bug as you’ve said - and we were lucky enough to do upper on the way home. Will get a TR up for that in due course.

We only landed this morning and have already been on the phone to upgrade our Mexico flights at the end of the year. Virgin holidays gave a daft price for the outbound leg though so for now we just have the return.

lorelai wrote:Really enjoyed this trip report, thank you, sounds like you really enjoyed the experience.

In Premium Economy, can you have as many drinks as you want (within reason obviously!!)?

Yeah that was my experience anyway. The crew weren’t actively going round offering drinks but were more than happy to top me up if I wondered down to the galley and asked nicely.

It’s all at their discretion but as long as no one is causing a fuss then no issues.
Virgin Atlantic