Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#943638 by trusse03
16 May 2018, 15:44
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was our first flight of the honeymoon, from Heathrow to San Francisco.

We'd booked through Virgin Holidays and paid for clubhouse access.

The night before we stayed at the Crowne Plaza Heathrow and had a very enjoyable stay.

Upon arriving at LHR we were quickly checked in using the priority desk, and directed towards security. Heathrow security was a breeze - compared to recent visits to Manchester and Birmingham airports. I sometimes have issues due to having a colostomy.

Once through security we worked our ways towards the clubhouse, gave our voucher to a very nice man at the podium and were shown into the clubhouse and the workings explained.

We settled down and had a full English and a latte for me, and a hot chocolate for him.

Once these were finished, it seemed to be a struggle to get someones attention to get new drinks - are you supposed to only have one served to you at your chair and then go to the bar for the rest? Thats the impression we were given by our server. Anyway once we had got his attention, I decided to try the Virgin Redhead after hearing such good things about it on here, and it was indeed very nice.

I then went for a wander around the clubhouse while my hubbie stayed where he was.

I think we had a couple more drinks before boarding - but each time had to get someones attention.

On boarding, we were met by a very pleasant crew, we were on dreamliner and sat in premium. I'm 5'10 and he's 6'4, so neither of is exactly short. I found the entertainment box under the seat in front a bit of a problem, but he didn't.

Shortly after takeoff drinks were served. Cabin crew were very pleasant.Gin and tonic for me. Not long after this the meals were served - can't remember exactly what it was - but that the starter had nuts in it - I can't eat nuts and had told virgin holidays this before the trip, but the message didn't seem to have reached virgin atlantic. A nut free salad was found for me, however the passenger behind me who has a nut allergy went without a starter in the end i think.

We were given landing cards for america, - on enquiring with a member of cabin crew if we needed one or two as a newly married couple still on different surnames, she wasn't sure, but stated to do 2 for time being. Not long after this conversation a couple of glasses of champagne arrived at our seat with a bowl of crisps each.

Later on in the flight we were given a whole bottle of champagne and some snacks nicely wrapped up to take on our travels with us.

Shortly before landing afternoon tea was served with a cup of tea or coffee - and again food was very tasty. We landed into SFO slightly ahead of schedule.

On landing the pilot came on to say we had landed at the same time as an emirates a380 and a jumbo from another company, so we might like to disembark quickly to be ahead of the big queue.

A great flight was had, and it really didn't seem to last 10 hours.
#943659 by dickydotcom
17 May 2018, 08:03
Thanks for the TR.

Landing cards: Did anyone look at them once you had landed?
The last couple of times going to Orlando I filled out a card. I then put all the same details into the electronic booth at border control. I was then asked some of the same question by a real person. At no time did anyone ask for the card.

Champagne to take off. We had once on an Air Malaysia to Oz and when I asked about the 'Not to be taken off the aircraft' label she wrapped the bottle in newspaper and popped in our carry on.

Have a great trip.

Dick D