Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#943671 by mdhayes
17 May 2018, 16:18
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
I left our first PE flight (LGW-MCO) the week earlier thinking PE might be the way forward, in terms of redemptions and costs, as I had enjoyed the product and service so much. However, this return flight changed my mind considerably. First of all MCO is a zoo, security has confusing lines, the gate area is awash with people sat on the floor/anywhere/everywhere. We initially tried to get into the Club with our priority pass but were told we would need to go on a waiting list, we grabbed a quick beer in a bar and by the time we had finished that we were allowed in the club. I’ve never used a USA lounge before but even though it was busy I thought it wasn’t too bad. We sat at the bar and the barman was friendly and he couldn’t pour us drinks fast enough. Everything was complimentary in the lounge so we enjoyed a few glasses of fizz (even if it was cava) and some ok snacks.

We headed to the plane as soon as boarding was called, we walked straight onto the plane again and again headed up stairs to row 24 but this time 24H and K. We had read that having guilt free recline is probably the best option for a night flight in PE.

The issues started almost straight away, they had run out of prosecco upstairs and they said they’d tried to find us some and the best they had was some warm ones from down stairs. These were both warm and flat, not the best pre-take off drink. The two crew looking after us seemed to be the best of friends and I’m guessing hadn’t seen each other in a while as they mainly just wanted to chat to each other instead of looking after passengers (this was the whole theme of the flight). In fact, by the time I left the plane I probably knew more about some crew members sex life than they would rather not be shared in public. Being just in front of the jump seats meant I was privy to what I am assuming was supposed to be a private conversation, albeit shouted across the cabin for anyone nearby to hear.

I won’t go into all the details but the service was poor, they came around to get food trays not that long after we had been given our dinner and drinks, because of this some people hadn’t finished and actually one person ‘slept’ with their dirty dinner tray in front of them.
The food (as is general) was much worse on the return, we both ordered the pulled pork but this was more like puree and resembled something I would have thought would go down well in an old peoples’ home.

After the after-dinner drinks round, no one came to collect the glasses/rubbish, therefore the cabin was full of empty glasses and dirty mugs for the majority of the flight. They were eventually collected after breakfast service was completed. One of my bigger complaints was that the crew didn’t enforce/encourage people to keep their window blinds down (I thought this was standard to keep the down and the cabin dim overnight), which made sleeping near impossible as the cabin was in full daylight.

Breakfast was another disappointment; the pastry was just ok but the fresh fruit consisted mainly of under ripe melon and the yoghurt was plain and tasteless.

Overall, this flight made me want to cry to fly UC. I think this flight could have been much better, despite the bad food, if the service was as good as the outbound flight.
#943682 by mitchja
17 May 2018, 21:13
Thanks for another TR.

Your Premium Economy TR’s virtually mirror mine going to BOS and coming back from JFK several weeks ago, an outstanding outbound flight and lousy return flight.

VS really do need to get these inconsistencies kicked into touch.
#943697 by dickydotcom
18 May 2018, 16:09
Thanks for the TR.
I found the last couple of MCO trips were good outbound and not so good inbound.
As for the US lounge; was it the Delta Sky Lounge? I was charged $9 for a Prosecco back in March, which was the only fizz they said they had. There was no slimline tonic, so Mrs D's free G&T was left for me to drink and her second choice was fizz.

Dick D
Virgin Atlantic