Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#943678 by Sealink
17 May 2018, 19:25
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
I am quite far behind in my trip reports, having flown to a variety of locations this year and tried new routes such as Stansted to Dundee and Stansted to Derry. Oh the GLAMOUR!

But I thought I’d return to a Virgin Atlantic flight because my goodness, they are getting it right.

This one was back to my beloved Boston, where there is actually a pub where everyone knows my name. And it’s not Cheers!

Found some G availability at fairly close notice and booked a week - flying into Boston and out of Newark. (Absolutely love Newark Airport - and the Clubhouse there is possibly my new favourite, although I will always have a soft spot for Boston)

The night before my flight, I opted to stay at the brand new Moxy Hotel, Heathrow, and it’s a strange combination of hipster cool and aren’t we clever touches, which, as a curmudgeon, I found annoying.

That said, the bed was very comfortable and the rooms quiet, which I guess is the main thing. I’m also a cost-conscious curmudgeon, hence I am typing this from the Moxy before my stupid o’clock flight to Belfast in the morning.

I checked out of the hotel around 11am and jumped on a free bus to Heathrow Central Bus Station, before a short walk to the hallowed turf of Virgin Atlantic at Terminal 3.

A very warm welcome at the check-in desk, and just managed to beat a rush in the Private Security channel - so was through in no time!

I went directly to the Clubhouse, where a new publication is available…

The day before my flight there were still seats in G class, and the Clubhouse was surprisingly quiet. I used the opportunity to take plenty of pics.

I was there just before lunchtime and had the soup and toastie for elevenses… this is a really simple creation but does it pack comfort!

I decided I should, in the interests of research only, try a cocktail. 

This Gin Fizz really hit the spot! 

Later on I had a really delicious and well presented chicken korma curry. I liked that it had a little kick which could be enhanced with the chutney.

Inevitably, boarding was called and I reluctantly left the clubhouse.

Champagne was offered on boarding - my friend didn’t like it which I think chimes with popular opinion here. I’ll drink anything but didn’t ask for a top up.

Here, in yet more pictorial form (saves me typing!!) is my meal:

STARTER - tomato and basil soup

MAIN - Spinach and ricotta tagliatelle, maybe? I really liked it.

DESSERT - Bread and butter pudding

CHEESEBOARD & PORT

On Vera, I watched Downsizing - which was not at all what I expected and was actually quite a thoughtful movie - I fell asleep before the end but don’t let that be my critique. 

The flight was very quiet, I went to the bar but the people there were fairly uninterested in the usual group conversations I have enjoyed there.

The scenery outside was stunning.

Then, the Virgin inflight burger. It’s a thing of beauty! 

It was lovely to arrive in Boston in daylight, and the approach was everything I remembered.

Global Entry in Boston has improved no end, and I was waved through in seconds, dropped my bags at the hotel and was very shortly enjoying a pint of Waschusset Blueberry at Tavern in the Square - which has been poured as I walked through the door and was waiting for me at the bar.
Virgin Atlantic