Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#943753 by CommanderB
21 May 2018, 12:40
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Just a quick TR from me this time..

I was due to fly Premium to HKG but managed to upgrade in the Clubhouse for a minimal £52 and 28,700 miles which for an overnight flight of this length - is a bargain!

Time spent in the Clubhouse was blissful as always. Starting out in the brasserie for some soup, a toastie, ice cream and then onto the sofas behind the bar for a few nibbles and drinks before boarding.

Boarding was swift, and already underway by the time I reached the gate. I was one of the first UC passengers on which was good as I was travelling quite baggage heavy this time. Found plenty of space in the overhead lockers and settled down shortly to be greeted by the FSM with the full Gold welcome. Stellar service on her part, as well as the rest of the crew. I was in 5G and travelling with a colleague and it was his first time in Upper, so I mentioned to the FSM and he got the full treatment too.

Takeoff on 09R up out over west and north London - pretty much directly over my house - fairly smooth ascent.

I ordered an Apple & Elderflower twist from the bar which was absolutely delightful. The fourth one, not so much as the crew member put a little too much elderflower - which was disappointing. I had already eaten extensively in the lounge, so opted to just have a dessert. I chose the chocolate & hazelnut tart which was delicious.

Menu for those interested -

A quick change into pyjamas and into bed for the duration of the flight as i'd been up and working since 0600 hours. The novelty of a flat bed really doesn't wear off! Some thunderstorms over China which I felt as I slept, and was reflected on the route map when I woke up. We did try and avoid them but it got very bumpy through the night.

I was awoken by the crew (at my request) in time for a bacon butty, some coffee and orange juice. Still a firm believer that you cannot cook a decent breakfast on a plane, and my opinion remains unchanged. So I always opt for Bacon butty or croissant etc and eat on the ground.

Arrival into HKG was smooth, disembarking was fairly fast. Luggage was a bit of a wait, but not too long.

All in all, a fantastic flight. The easterly routes have been extremely generous to me in terms of upgrades. Only once have I flown Premium (out of 6 times) and all the other times i've snagged an OpUp or Mileage upgrades to upper even on pretty busy flights.

CommanderB, out.
#943757 by SlimpyJones
21 May 2018, 14:06
Thanks Commander! *Salutes*

Short and sweet :) Thanks for the menu as well.

My next trip is to PVG on Wednesday and I am hoping to be as fortunate as you and maybe try to back a couple of G's for our outbound for my lady and I.
#943759 by CommanderB
21 May 2018, 14:21
Thanks Slimpy, you're most welcome.

There were no G's available before check in opened as I was constantly checking Expert Flyer. But there were 10 open seats in Upper on the day. And the concierge in the CH told me they were willing to do Miles or Cash (£850) for any number of them.

Good luck!
#943811 by joeyc
23 May 2018, 10:02
Fantastic news that the FSM was on form with the Au welcome, not always the case sadly.

I, too, enjoy the LHR CH in the evenings as a nice peaceful refuge after the usual busy day. Glad to see the concierge service were happy to upgrade you with miles, did you have much of a wait whilst someone from ticketing was located to process the upgrade?

I trust you enjoyed your time in HKG, I am likely to be back that way towards the end of the year.

Cheers for posting :cool:
#943817 by CommanderB
23 May 2018, 15:46
joeyc wrote:
I, too, enjoy the LHR CH in the evenings as a nice peaceful refuge after the usual busy day. Glad to see the concierge service were happy to upgrade you with miles, did you have much of a wait whilst someone from ticketing was located to process the upgrade?

A little.. it took about 10 minutes to find someone and then another 5 or so to take payment etc, but while they were finding the ticketing guy - I went back to the brasserie. There were plenty of seats and ample time to get things done. I did get called back up to the desk with full name & title which I don't like as it draws too much attention, but ah well! Anything for the upgrade!
Virgin Atlantic