Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#945783 by plane340
25 Aug 2018, 22:58
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Decided to take my girlfriend for a few days in Vegas. I have been many times before, but this was her 1st trip to the USA, and 1st on a widebody - LGW 747.

Booked everything through Virgin Holidays in March this year and looking at the PE prices, it was only around £800 rtn for the 2 of us to upgrade when booking.

The booking process was extremely straight forward and within minutes and for a very small deposit, we had secured a 5 night stay at the Cosmopolitan, PE flights (in the Bubble) and a helicopter night flight over the strip.

On the day of travel, we pitched up at Gatwick after a stress free drive from N/W London.
PE check in was a breeze and Premium Security was not at all crowded.

We used the No1 Lounge, which was packed and not calming. However, we found a quite corner in the business part to relax for an hour or so before the flight.

Flight was called on time and we wondered down to the gate where Barbarella was waiting to take us to Vegas.
Boarding was great calling Upper, Premium and Economy Delight first.

We had the last row A&B of Premium up in the bubble and found the seats to be in very good condition. Obviously, the plane was showing it's age in places even after the major refurb a few years ago but everything worked well.

The flight was rammed packed in every section. Not a spare seat, even jump seats were being used.

We took off on time and headed out from Gatwick fairly quickly. Flight time was 10 hours 20 minutes.

Plenty of choice on Vera to select from and lunch was served around an hour after take off. We both had the Chicken/Pasta which was served with a salad, cake and cheese & biscuits. All very good.

Drink runs were done every hour of so, so no complaints there.

A hot pasty was served about half way through the flight and afternoon tea - sandwiches and warm scones & jam around 90 minutes before landing.

Cabin crew were present all of the time however we needed nothing and were very comfortable and felt very looked after throughout the whole flight.

Many people have complained about economy passengers using the forward toilets however, this was no problem and I only once noticed a small queue just before top of descent.

The captain on duty kept us informed of the progress we were making and arrival times although Vera did this too!!!!

We landed on time into a scorching Vegas on time and were picking up our bags within around 20 minutes and then meeting our Limo driver to take us to the Cosmopolitan.

As I have been to Vegas several times before, I didn't bother contacting the VH rep although she did ring through to our room after we had arrived just to check if everything was ok and for us to get in touch if we needed anything.

We enjoyed 5 magical days of Gambling, Shopping, Shows, Eating and of course lot's and lot's of walking.

We returned on the 17th again on Barbarella with PE seats in the bubble and again the service was great and on time.

All in all I could not fault a thing with Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Holidays. When things work out well it's great and I will certainly miss the classic 747's.

Oh well, here's to our next Virgin Holiday's trip to Orlando this coming Christmas. 9 of us traveling in Economy Delight and Premium return.

Thanks for reading.
#945786 by hiljil
26 Aug 2018, 07:19
Thank you for your most enjoyable TR. It is always a pleasure reading positive comments about flights and your report was full of them.

So glad you had a great time.
#945788 by pjh
26 Aug 2018, 11:24
paulicklow wrote:
On the day of travel, we pitched up at Gatwick after a stress free drive from N/W London.

A statement not often heard on V-Flyer... :)

paulicklow wrote:
Thanks for reading.

Thanks for writing. Glad to hear you had a great time.
Virgin Atlantic