Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#945804 by RLF
27 Aug 2018, 11:08
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
In the Spring 2017, our three children, all working but living at home suggested a special holiday together in 2018, the year 2 of the family had special birthdays. After much discussion, 2 weeks on different West Indies islands was settled on, son (JRF) costed out 2 weeks through VH which came in at an eye watering price, “you always wanted to fly UC” he said, “yes I responded UC tastes, economy budget”, the trip was re-costed with seats at the back of the bus, and it was booked. He then became a bit of an Airmiles fanatic… UC one day perhaps….

Fast forward to August 18 and we were off. Vs89 is an early start, requiring a booking with our local Gatwick express coach company for 2.30am pick up. 2 hours later, in a coach with a seat pitch making LCC carriers look like first class and we rolled into LGW at 4.45, to find the VS zone deserted. By 5.10, there was life, the first to open was the Ice cream stand, then payments desk and finally bag drop. By then there was a disorganised group of about 50 and the check in supervisor checked that we had all done OLCI, about 40 had not and were dispatched to the computers, we were checked in competently, but without any sparkle.

By 5.30, there seamed no life either side of the UC counter… maybe UC travellers knew the Club house doesnt open until 6.

JRF had managed to get V Room included which we then went to, security was not an issue, and we arrived by 5.40 to find it didn’t open until 6. Back to the terminal that we returned to V Room just after 6 to be warmly welcomed and shown around, this was a really good experience and I was happy to go no further! We were given the wifi password, which I commented on the link to the VS fleet. The supervisor was impressed and said I was the first person to notice, shows how sad I am….

Was sorry to see it was an old 332, and as we boarded it didn’t have the VS sparkle I expected. The crew looked quite bored, one girl yawned throughout the entire boarding process with no customer interaction.
On time departure after a brief welcome from the front, although it was barely audible down the back.
Welcome drink, good lunch, I had the curry dish which was tasty, various drink runs, and a sandwich and desert only just before we landed which could have been warmer….

Crew had very little interaction with passengers, one stewardess rammed the seat table down into my Sons lap to put his lunch on as he was asleep with no apology and he has complained about – a few miles???….

I found the IFE did not have much to my taste, no Airplane films, or air crash investigation documentaries…!Seat was cramped but I suppose thats what you expect for 9 hours at the back of the bus....

On time arrival quick transit through immigration, I was surprised that most passengers stayed on to Grenada. Bags already off the belt, as we were one of the last through and off to a welcoming VH desk and transfer waiting to take us for 7 days R&R.

To summarise, we left on time, got there on time, VS fed me well, entertained me moderately, and got me to my destination safely and on time, but there was no sparkle at all.

I found the 332s cramped, the flight dragged, and the crew who seemed a bit of a mixed bunch and just wanted to get there and made a big point that they were handing over to another crew for the run on to Grenada. From reports I have read, the 333’s and 346’s give a much better experience…

We then went on to Barbados on an inter-island flight which I was dreading, but that’s another TR?
#945828 by ColOrd
27 Aug 2018, 19:52
Yes interesting to read about a Y report on the Berlin Bombers! Crew sounds a real mixed bag, but I understand that working the 332's is hampering crew morale with LOTS and LOTS of customers constantly complaining about them not that that excuses things!
#945833 by RLF
27 Aug 2018, 21:39
I did have a chance to look into the better seats, as passengers for UVF were deplaning from both doors, regardless of class. I think if I had paid the extra for travel up front I would have been disappointed as well, the whole aircraft just lacked any sort of Virgin flair. V Room, and the Barbados beach check in ( see my later TR, ) were fantastic, fun and everything I associated with the Virgin brand.

I am not sure why they need to operate 4 x 332 with only 1 engineless 787 at LHR. Could they not have extended the lease on VFIZ rather than send her to the desert. She must have been in better shame than these 4 poor ladies which do nothing for VS passengers, or as you say, crew...
#945835 by ColOrd
27 Aug 2018, 21:44
Mine, and others theory is that VS strategy is that 332's longer term for continuing to develop Manchester with some new destinations AND to operate "crowdbuster" holiday flights at high MCO season. It's almost a given that the 350-1000's will have less overall capacity than 744 so the 332's allow them to cater for that high peak.

I think this year has marked the first year 330's operated to MCO, and was exactly that during the school holidays, the day that VS were showing off their presence there was just that with 5 747s and 332.

VHols Partnership with Disney shows no slowing down. I was in the VH Leeds store today and the guys said that Disney and MCO is a massive part of what they do, and loosing seats with the 350's must be a worry?
Virgin Atlantic