Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#945862 by RLF
29 Aug 2018, 21:19
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
It was finally time to leave the West Indian sunshine and so we were picked up from our hotel, and had arranged The Barbados beach check in.

I was initially sceptical, because we had our hotel room until 12, could have had lunch and then a transfer about 2.00 to the airport for check in, but we arrived at the Barbados beach at 11.00 and here the Virgin WOW factor cut in. it’s a really nice way of ending the holiday, very easy, lunch and drinks included and everything taken care of, (Wifi password linked to fleet names again)

We had use of a beautiful beach, one of the nicest we had seen in either island, Picked up at 3.00 for a 5.15 flight, and I felt this was rather late, particularly as I was aware the inbound flight was early, and guessed we would be away on time or early.

Boarding actually started at 4.15, which made for a rushed transit. Heard my name called on tannoy, thinking this could be an upgrade, but only an issue with my passport number which was quickly sorted.
On board another cramped 332 (Scarlet O Hara) but welcomed by a very engaging crew, a full lead of 286 and we were away by 5.05.

Once again, seat was very cramped, IFE was fine (although the headphone socket on my sons screen was loose. He was immediately provided with an ipad which was fine (although I think he should have had some miles) A very visible FSM, running a tight ship. Dinner was Chicken or Pulled pork pasta which was really tasty.

Cabin darkened and we tried to sleep, which wasn’t easy. I have read complaints that crew turn the heating to “Sahara” levels on overnight flights, this crew decided on “Antarctica” as the setting and cabin was freezing, part due to coming for a very warm country I suspect, but a little heat would have certainly aided sleep as people were reaching up to carry-ons for anything warm…..

Fruit and hot pastry for breakfast about 75 minutes out, but seemed to take ages to serve the whole cabin, serviced a bit hap hazard. Landed 30 minutes early into a totally empty Immigration hall, took about 30 seconds to get through, bags were on 2 belts for some reason, everyone seemed to be around belt 1, but ours were the first to arrive near us on belt 2!

Into Costa by 6.35 and a wait for the 9.05 coach home, which took another circuitous route and home by 11.00

A really good holiday, Impressed with a lot of Virgin brand, but please de densify those 332’s. With only 1 x 789 out of use at the moment, why do VS still need 4 in service? Does anyone know the true strategic plan for the fleet in the future, once the dreamliners are well again, and the 744’s start to disappear. Is the idea that MCO gets 6-7 daily flights in the summer with smaller aircraft, just how full is LGW in terms of slots?
#945863 by TimCrawley
29 Aug 2018, 23:26
A very interesting read (as were your other trip reports) - thanks for posting.

I used to really like the old check in - chill out on the VH carib destinations where they sorted your luggage and boarding passes at the hotel then picked you up a few hours later for trip to the airport. I heard about this even better replacement at BGI but forgot to try it on my last trip …. but it sounds great so will definitely make the effort to try it if I'm lucky enough to get over there again (did anyone hear if they were going to try this at any other destinations?).

Having been to BGI in VS 747 economy (which was pretty good for the price) it's a pity the 332's aren't seeming to get good feedback …. to be fair to VS they are having to solve a problem not of their making with the Trent engines cutting the fleet unexpectedly, but I tend to agree with your point
please de densify those 332’s. With only 1 x 789 out of use at the moment, why do VS still need 4 in service?
…. when they add the PE to the 332’s it's a pity they can't improve the E offering if they are staying in the fleet long enough to justify the PE add-on.

Thanks again for the TR's