Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#946035 by mitchja
07 Sep 2018, 12:47
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
A couple of months ago I decided to book a return flight to JFK from MAN to boost my tier points to hit the threshold to get me back to Gold status. I'd dropped back to Silver in July.

I keep a track (spreadsheet) of my rolling 12 month tier points so I knew I only had until the middle of September to hit the 1000 target so I booked at the beginning of September.

I don't mind admitting that I've been avoiding VS flights out of MAN this year as I am avoiding those ex-AB aircraft. The JFK service from MAN changed to a B744 a bit ago so I was happy to do that. I'd also not flown on a LGW/MAN VS 744 since Jan 2014 though I have been a a few VS LHR 744's since then before they retired.

I'd booked Purple parking multi-storey T2 as that actually wasn't a lot more expensive than any of the other car parking options to park my car and that is by far the most convenient as it's a very short walk across the road to T2.

Quick stop to collect my pre-ordered currency at Travelex which is directly across from VS check-in. I was warmly welcomed at check-in and was heading up to security in no time at all.

I knew what was coming - the SSSS on my boarding pass as having tried to do OLCI the previous day, VS practically told me I was getting it with the message the website gave me along the lines of 'unable to check me in due to government checks required' and 'to see an agent at the airport'.

I completely missed priority security for some reason, which as anyone who uses MAN knows, isn't actually a bad thing. I released I'd missed it as I was snaking through the security lines. There wasn't many pax in front of me and I couldn't be bothered to go back and so just just carried on in the standard security line which was pretty quick anyway. I was though in under 5 minutes. My bad got pulled for secondary screening because of the empty water container I had in my bag. Never had an issue with an empty water container before (I always carry a water bottle now and fill it after security) but anyway that all it was as soon as they saw it, I was able to carry on.

Down the escalator and the followed the winding 'yellow brick road' though the duty free shop. OK, so it's not yellow and it's not made of brick but it always reminds me of that ;-) It does actually catch a lot of people out as I heard pax asking was this the way to departures as it is poorly signposted and not immediately obvious which way to go.

No obvious changes inside T2 that I could see. TBH though I don't travel through MAN T2 very much. I headed up to The Escape lounge / Escape Plus lounge which was the same as usual. Still not very impressive. Give me the V:Room at MAN any day over that lounge. I was warmly welcomed by a member of VS staff. That's the first time ever I think I come across VS staff in that lounge. Food choices wasn't very good. The where just about ready to switch over from breakfast to lunch. The lunch options didn't look very appetising at all so I passed on that.

The flight was called and the VS127 was departing from gate 206 (I think). G-VAST was waiting for us. Boarding just started as I reached the gate. Priority boarding was working. With having SSSS I received my extra bag search. My shoes and MacBook where swapped, but that was about it.

Greeted by a very friendly member of crew and directed to my seat 9K. The Upper Class cabin looked in good condition. The seat itself was also in good condition with everything working. Seat 9A across from me did have a 'I'm not working' sticker across the table though. There was basically 2 crew members looking after Upper Class and they never ever stopped the entire flight.

The FSM came round and introduced herself to everyone personally as did the CSS. I was soon offered a glass of champers as well which never seems to stay empty for long!

We had 436 pax on board today along with 14 crew and 2 flight deck crew. With 455 seats on a VS 744, that was over 95% load factor which is good going for any route. It was pretty much the same on the return flight a few days later as well :) Apparently the VS JFK flights from/to MAN are doing very well still.

As it was first of the month I was very pleased to see that September's films had been loaded onto the IFE :)

Today's flight time would be 6hrs 47 mins. We pushed back at 14:00 and rotated at 14:13

I'm not sure if the menus have been posted, but it was as follows:

Starters
Tomato and mozzarella carpaccio
Pea and mint soup
Crab cakes

Mains
Seared salmon fillet
Lemon and thyme roasted chicken
Keralan curry and Tadka dal
Weeping tiger beef salad

Pudding
Lemon and blackcurrant sponge cake
Burnt sugar custard tart

(this is for the VS71, VS73, VS77, VS85, VS109, VS121, VS125, VS127, VS163 June cycle)

I had the soup, salmon and sponge cake all of which where good and very tasty.

I watched a few films during the flight and had a chat with the crew at the bar for a short while. For info here is the list of films for September on aircraft with VERA Touch:

IMG_0291.jpeg
IMG_0291.jpeg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 5016 times

The flight passed very quickly actually as before long the afternoon tea service was been served.

After the cabin had been cleared the FSM again came round and said goodbye to everyone personally before we landed.

The crew on this flight where exceptional and again the MAN crews rock and are all a credit to VS. They can certainly show many of the the London crew how it should be done.

We landed at JFK around 16:15 local time so where early. Said my goodbyes to the crew and headed to immigration / Global Entry which I was through in under 60 seconds. The longest wait was at the baggage carousel. There appeared to be no priority baggage for Upper Class as pretty much every thing else was coming off first.

Headed into Manhattan using the Air-train / subway as usual, which was a little chaotic due to planned engineering works that weekend on the E line so E line trains where using the F lines for most of the route in Manhattan. Still way easier, cheaper and usually quicker than using a cab/Uber though!

All in all an excellent VS flight :D
#946146 by VS075
13 Sep 2018, 12:40
Thanks for the TR. Looks like you had a great flight and it's encouraging to hear the load factors. I'm even more curious now to understand what the LF's are on our 127/128 flight in November. Perhaps this might become an A350-1000 route once they start being delivered?
#946157 by CommanderB
14 Sep 2018, 16:30
Great report! Thanks for posting.

I am hoping to try MAN at some point, which makes sense given i'm a northerner! Probably when they start LAX or LAS moves to a 350.
Virgin Atlantic