Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#946213 by forumuser156
19 Sep 2018, 07:14
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Time to come home now, and glad for it. The resort I was in was not good, very noisy, so it wasn't the restful break I was looking forward too. Anyway, Virgin transfer arrived around 1:30pm and off I went to the BGI Lounge. I havent been here in 4 years and the Lounge has been updated to have a section only for Virgin customers which was awesome, rather than everyone sitting in one big Lounge. It is all self-service but there is a concierge that comes round every 20 mins to check you're ok. The fridges are well stocked with water, soft drinks and beer, and they have a coffee station, drinks bar and even wines and champers. Food is a mix of snacks like crisps, peanuts, biscuits and cakes and they also have a table with hot food like samosas, pea soup, sandwiches (cheese and cucumber) and chicken nuggets.

Boarding was called at 4pm for 5pm flight, and I used the Priority Boarding gate and straight onto the plane in 1K in A330-300. Got settled in quick and ready for take-off. Once in the sky, the CC came round and said there were no amenity kits on this flight as they were trailling something new. She produced a box of amenity items and asked me to choose from them, then I was handed a feedback card to rate the experience. I did not rate it well as I found it intrusive and would rather just be given the bag with items inside.

I ordered chicken for mains and cheese board for dessert, really delicious, along with the French red to wash it all down

After dinner service ended, the lights were dimmed and most UC passengers converted their seat to bed mode. There was a slight issue where the lady sitting opposite me was clearly CC on holiday as she invited one of them over to sit and chat/ laugh really loudly at her seat. Eventually one of the CC saw me giving them dirty looks and called the other member of staff away. Sorry but the bar area is for chatting, especially when your fellow passengers are all clearly getting ready to sleep!

Apart from that it was smooth sailing. There was always CC at the bar area ready to hand out drinks/ snacks/ extra amenities. Morning arrived and breky was served, didn't get a pic of this as I was too hungry and so I forgot. After landing early, we had to hold on the runway as our stand was not ready yet so we hung about for 20mins.Then finally disembarked to get to the jam-packed e-passport machines and onto belts 1 and 2 to collect bags. This was really badly done as both conveyors were populated with bags from all classes so UC was mixed with Economy and meant I had to wait a long time scanning 2 belts before finally getting my bag and heading home.
#946220 by SlimpyJones
19 Sep 2018, 11:25
Thanks for your two TRs - I read them both one after the other! Sorry to hear that your Barbados resort didn't live up to your expectations. Out of curiosity, would you be willing to share which resort it was? Purely for me own information as I might have a Barbados trip on the horizon!!

Glad the two flights treated you well though :-)
#946224 by forumuser156
20 Sep 2018, 04:30
Hiya, thanks for reading the trip reports :-D The resort I stayed at was Discovery Bay by Rex resorts. I usualy like that chain as its cheap and cheerful, never had an issue staying with them in St Lucia or Antigua before. The Trip Advisor reviews were generally good as well so I was quite surprised by the bad experience. I have subsequently added my own review to TA.
#946236 by RLF
20 Sep 2018, 20:19
Sorry to hear of your problems, when we came back a month ago, the Immigration hall had about 6 passengers in it...

They used Belts 1 and 2 for us, I have no idea how to decide upon the split, I think ours where about the first on No 2 as we arrived, there was a pack around No 1 which had loads of bags, and we were down the back of the aircraft....