Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#946834 by woralla
04 Nov 2018, 16:07
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
I got dropped off at T3 by an Uber driver, having had a pretty good run out to the airport with no hold-ups.

Check-in was busy but I only waited a minutes of two to be served. My Flying Club status was acknowledged with the question ‘I don’t need to tell you where the lounge is, do I?’. All very friendly and efficient. I took the lift up to the Private wing and joined a pretty long security queue. They’ve got people helping as you get to the front of the queue. This is possibly to speed up Delta passengers not used to UK security requirements. Still it took about ten minutes to clear security and be on my way to the maze that is duty free.

On to the lounge, and a friendly ‘welcome back’. Inside it was very busy and I struggled to find a seat. The service was slow and my food order possibly got lost as I had to chase it. It arrived 45 minutes after ordering, and not long before I planned to leave for the gate.

I left for the gate just after the gate number was revealed. It was gate 22, the furthest gate on the outer pier. Boarding started a few minutes after I arrived at the gate and I was one of the first people on to the plane.

The cabin soon filled up. The flight was totally full across all three cabins. Pre-flight champagne and orange juice was served, then we pushed back pretty much to schedule.

Once in the air, the crew took drinks orders. I was welcomed by name, which was nice. Then came the meal serve. I ordered the sautéed prawns, followed by fillet steak with port wine sauce, then the apple tarte tatin. This was polished off with a couple of glasses of Rioja.

A short while after the food service, the cheese trolley came around. They served the G/K aisle firstly. I was sitting on the A side. I don’t think many people had opted for cheese as double portions were being served when they got to me.

After lunch I watched the three part box set of Agatha Christie’s Ordeal by Innocence. Then I headed to the bar for a drink. It was empty of other passengers, so I had a chat with a couple of crew members. Afterwards I had a nap.

Extra Bites were offered about 90 minutes before landing. I had a ploughman’s, which was very tasty. Although the bread roll was also chilled.

We came in to land over Miami Beach with some great views out of the window. I filmed this on a GoPro.

We landed to time and taxied around to the J gates. VS recently moved terminals at Miami. The new terminal is far more modern, with high ceilings in the baggage hall. Getting through immigration and baggage was pretty quick - but I do have Global Entry - and I was in an Uber about twenty minutes after the plane arrived at the gate.

A video of my experience is over on YouTube. It’s the first time I’ve filmed in 4K resolution.
#946838 by ColOrd
04 Nov 2018, 18:05
Love the YouTube trip report and the one you did on the 747 from Gatwick!

Glad you had a good flight, and the views coming into MIA are stunning!

Apart from the GoPro footage what was the rest filmed on?
#946842 by woralla
04 Nov 2018, 19:20
ColOrd wrote:Love the YouTube trip report and the one you did on the 747 from Gatwick!

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the videos.

ColOrd wrote:Apart from the GoPro footage what was the rest filmed on?

Everything up until I sat down was filmed on a GoPro Hero 6 Black with a handheld gimbal. The rest was filmed with an iPhone X.
#946868 by Snora
05 Nov 2018, 10:20
Having flown VS into MIA once before I vowed "never again" arriving in that awful airport with the mile long walk from the terminal. Sounds like things have improved and the distance is now not so bad? I was regretting refusing the trip by buggy as we stepped off the plane last time thinking it was for more elderly and infirm passengers! Should have read the posts on this forum beforehand!
#946872 by buns
05 Nov 2018, 12:28
Thanks for the TR

The morning Clubhouse Scrum is something I would wish to avoid as I have become used to the tranquil afternoons ;-)

Simply love your YouTube Chanel and Mrs Buns says to tell you they are very informative :D

buns
#946968 by Sealink
12 Nov 2018, 05:18
Snora wrote:Having flown VS into MIA once before I vowed "never again" arriving in that awful airport with the mile long walk from the terminal. Sounds like things have improved and the distance is now not so bad? I was regretting refusing the trip by buggy as we stepped off the plane last time thinking it was for more elderly and infirm passengers! Should have read the posts on this forum beforehand!

Me too. Awful airport.
Virgin Atlantic