Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#947334 by Seany93
02 Dec 2018, 22:47
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So this was to be our first time in upper on a daytime flight. We were booked in premium but managed to bag a mileage upgrade two days before the flight into 6A and 6K. We couldn’t believe our luck!

We headed down to Gatwick the evening before and stayed in the Bloc hotel. Used this a couple of times now and would highly recommend. Does exactly what it says on the tin....

We haven’t done upper on an outbound before so excitement got the better of us and we were up super early to get in the clubhouse and see what all the fuss was about. Checkin and security were a breeze and I’d say that from leaving the hotel room we were in the clubhouse in under 20 minutes. We took up a spot by the window and I slowly worked my way through the breakfast/cocktail menu. I was really impressed by the whole setup - especially the staff!! ... Added bonus here was signing up for the premium VA card and getting quite a good offer.

We headed to the gate around midday and took our seats - 6A & 6K - onboard Jersey Girl. A couple of CC and the FSM had all introduced themselves rather quickly and the drinks were flowing. Once we were up the food orders were taken. The menu was as follows:

Starters:

Sautéed Prawns
Tomato & Basil Soup
Creamy Mushrooms

Mains:

Fillet Steak with Port Wine Sauce
Herb Roasted Chicken Breast
Thai Vegetable Stew
Charred Cod & Basmati Rice

Dessert:

Apple Tarte Tatin
Chocolate & Pistachio Slice

I had the prawns, beef and chocolate slice and considering this was ‘plane food’ I found all 3 dishes to be really tasty.

We opted to dine together (my better half is quite tiny so was no issue sitting on the ottoman. A few other couples in the cabin decided to do the same after seeing our table being laid out. First time doing this and whilst it might be a novelty for some, we both really enjoyed it and gave us some time together before we reclined our seats and put a movie on.

After this the flight was fairly uneventful (until landing) - I watched a film, had a nap and then spent some time at the bar chatting to a few other passengers whilst having 2 of the burgers from the extra bites menu. Just what was needed on such a long flight.

As we were coming in to land in Cancun - at which point I am convinced that we were no more than around 300-400 feet off the ground - we suddenly went straight back up again and climbed right back up to the clouds. There were a few gasps in the cabin as we began what felt like quite a steep climb. My girlfriend isn’t the greatest flyer in the world so she didn’t look too impressed at this point. The FSM was quick to get on the intercom and explain that the pilots had performed a missed approach manoeuvre (I think that’s what she said anyway?) due to a plane that landed before us not clearing the runway in time. Once we had finished climbing and done a full u turn, the pilot himself came on to explain what had happened. I’m not sure how standard this is as it’s never happened to me before but it was all handled very professionally.

About 20 mins later we had a safe touch down in Cancun and were quickly off the plane and into the luggage hall where the upper bags were already waiting - we were then whisked off to spend a week at Paradisus by Melia.

Overall it was a fantastic flight and a fantastic experience on the ground at Gatwick. Having flown upper only on a night flight before, I was convinced that I was happy with premium for a daytime flight - but I think I may have messed that up for myself now!