Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#948021 by walesflyer
10 Jan 2019, 00:30
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After a wonderful Christmas and New Year in Cape Cod and Boston (thanks to tips and recommendations from fellow v-flyers) it was time for the return home. our New year package at the Boston Harbor Hotel included a late check until 4pm, so we made the most of this. We had some spare miles in husbands account which will never grow enough for a reward flight, and i begrudge the cost of transferring them, and so we used these to book the chauffeur across to the airport. I'm one of those people who like to get to the airport way earlier than needed (especially where there is a clubhouse involved!) but we got there a little too early this time as check-in desks were not due to open for another hour! So, we got our books out and sat in the gloomy terminal until the desks opened up.

We were swiftly checked in when the desks opened, and given directions to the lounge. We were pretty much the first ones in there. We were given a very warm welcome and a tour, it was much smaller than I expected though. By this time we hadn't eaten since breakfast so were very hungry, so we took a seat in the dining area. I did find it a bit confusing as there didn't seem to be much in the way of main meals on the menu (and no clubhouse burger!), so at first I thought it was just the deli items. But it seems they have daily rotating hot meals on the deli too, and not everything is on the menu. I ordered the mezze plate which was delicious, husband went for one last bowl of clam chowder (he lived on this on holiday!). We both then ordered some pulled pork sliders (very nice), and then helped ourselves to some cheese and biscuits from the deli. The guys behind the deli counter were absolutely lovely. It is a nice place to pass a few hours but I suppose I shouldn't really compare it to the heathrow clubhouse.

The time passed quickly (helped by a few cocktails and glasses of wine). We went at the first call and were quickly on board. there was a young couple sat in front of us who were so obviously excited at their first time in UC.... they were probably like we were on our first time!).

Having intentionally eaten in the clubhouse, we skipped dinner in order to maximise sleep. That said, i did have a last G&T as a nightcap - it wasn't served with crisps so I asked the CC who kindly brought us some, although she did say they don't normally serve them on night flights. I waited until they had finished serving the pre-dinner drinks and got one of the CC to put my seat to bed mode. Husband did the same, and I think we managed a few hours sleep. As always, I found it stifling though. What actually woke me was the clinking of plates and cups as breakfast was beginning to be served. I must remember to put in ear plugs next time. I found that the duty free that I had ordered on the flight out had magically appeared under my foot rest when I woke up.

We skipped breakfast on board and ate in the revivals lounge after a nice long shower. We then both had the complimentary facial while killing time until we need to get the heathrow express back to Paddington for our train back to Wales.

Another great flight, can't comment on food as didn't partake this time, but crew were excellent once again.
#948026 by ColOrd
10 Jan 2019, 07:21
Your trip reports are excellent thanks! Glad you enjoyed the experience both ways!

I’m also like you and I go to the airport way too early, got to maximise that Clubhouse time!

Was Boston quite cold over Christmas?
#948027 by SlimpyJones
10 Jan 2019, 08:13
Thanks for the dual trip reports! Glad you had a nice time. I have fond memories of the staff in the Boston Clubhouse and look forward to my next visit.

@Col: If it was anything like NYC it was probably seasonally warm!
#948030 by Francis007
10 Jan 2019, 09:51
Hi Walesflyer

Thankyou for the great TR and glad you had such a wonderful time in Boston and on the Cape.

The Cape is truly a remarkable place isn't it and especially so I think , in the Autumn or Winter, when all the crowds have gone .

Also agree with you that the staff at the Boston Clubhouse are charming and welcoming.

May I ask if you found Newcombe Hollow Beach and the Audubon Bird Sanctuary just outside Wellfleet ?

Anyhows , thankyou for the report and it just makes me look forward even more to our next visit in October and November.
#948034 by Sealink
10 Jan 2019, 12:41
Great TR. I do have a soft spot for the Boston Clubhouse. The staff are terrific and you forget that the place has no windows. Just heading to Boston today actually! On The Dark Side.
Virgin Atlantic