Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#948255 by woralla
18 Jan 2019, 13:08
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This flight took place in the aftermath of the drone closure at Gatwick. A significant proportion of the VS fleet was in the wrong place and flights were being rescheduled and aircrafts changed.

We were originally booked on VS105 to Seattle for an onward connection to Las Vegas. Twenty four hours prior to departure, I tried online check-in, which did not work. As this was part of a complex ‘around the world’ ticket, I checked with my travel agent to ensure there were not any problems. To my surprise, I was told me we now had two flights on the ticket for the following morning: one on VS105 to Seattle and another on VS7 to Los Angeles. A quick call to Virgin revealed what had happened. The Flying Club team had noticed we were due to fly the following day and had nabbed an alternate route just in case the first was cancelled. I guess this shows how Flying Club status can be very useful!

Long story short. Later that day it was announced that the VS105 to Seattle would fly, but not as VS metal. They had hired in a ‘Hi Fly’ A330-300. So we swapped over to the VS7 on a Dreamliner to LAX with a connection on to LAS.

On to the actual flight. Arrived at Terminal 3 a couple of hours before the new departure time to LAX. Check-in was busy (as you would expect for the weekend before Christmas) but we were checked-in and on our way to the security channel after about five minutes. Straight to the Clubhouse and to the Spa for a haircut. After that came breakfast in the restaurant. All very good.

We left the Clubhouse before the flight was called, as the gate was on the far pier. At the gate, boarding has already started so we went straight on to the plane.

The cabin filled up over the next twenty minutes or so. The FSM came over and introduced herself to us. She made a bit of fussed because of status, but that said, she did then introduce herself to every other passenger prior to take-off.

On-board the service was excellent. There was even a festive colouring competition for children. Although on the accompanying adult competition to name all of Santa’s reindeer, the crew managed initially to award the prize for the wrong answer. Clearly, someone could not use the on board Wi-Fi that well to Google it!

I made a video of the flight, which you can find over on YouTube.

We arrived at LAX on schedule. Baggage was a little slow to come through but the process of rechecking for the flight connection to Las Vegas was very straightforward.
#948258 by woralla
18 Jan 2019, 16:48
SlimpyJones wrote:I'd have hated to have been on that HiFly A330.

I did a quick Google then absolutely deciding to swap! The Hi Fly business class cabin looked very small and unappealing.