Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#948363 by ColOrd
26 Jan 2019, 22:03
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So Vegas: Tropicana was a nice, but nothing special. The Strip is an interesting place, we all gambled a bit, but ultimately I wouldn't head back anytime soon! We drove out to the Hoover Dam which the drive and views were out of the world, watching the sunset over the desert was incredible. Celine Dion was amazing! Such a star!

Arrived at McCarren in time for G-VROS, English Rose to be landing. Security was so quick no laptops out, no shoes off, straight through the metal detector! Was a pleasant change for American TSA especially given the concerns of the government shutdown!

Two of us headed to The Club, it wasn't as bas I had feared for a shared US lounge and we ever got a glass of bubbly each, although they weren't fully up to speed with being able to guest someone in when in Upper, took a moment or two for them to check something before my friend was given admittance.

I was first on board what seemed like a very full flight. Took off from the West side runways with spectacular views again.

Personalised welcome from the FSM to the whole cabin, her level of attention to detail was really good, and she was very active in the service. Food was a Thai Vegetable curry which was incredibly spicy. It really blew my head off and I love spicy food.

One of our friends had managed to come down with quite a chesty cold on the outbound and she managed to pass this to me, so I wasn't feeling too well for this flight. I had glass of champers for the Instagram photo, but spent the rest of the flight asleep or making my way through three litres of water! The FSM and CSS really looked after me with constant honey and lemon teas being brought and fluffing of pillows when I popped to the loo! I thought it was so so good!

Landed on time at 09:30, through the E-gates and my bag was first off, checked into the hotel by 10:30 and I was in a meeting in another part of the airport by 13:00! Never again! I don't see how people step of long haul flights at LHR and go straight into meetings! i was dead!!!
#948373 by David
27 Jan 2019, 08:18
Vegas is def on my to do list but am guessing its probably an few days add on rather than a full blown trip.

Thanks for both reports and photos. Us LGW / MAN fliers are really spoilt with the upper cabins on the 747's, it will be a shame when they are eventually retired.

David
#948381 by ColOrd
27 Jan 2019, 13:57
So your millage may vary, but I would agree tacking it on to another trip rather than a trip in its own right.

I'd hardly consider myself a prude or a party pooper, but for the most part, the group of us that went all late 20s early 30's just didn't gel with the whole strip lifestyle. It was a good trip, and I would rush back to Nevada to explore the desert, but I would not rush back to visit the strip again!

I did notice that the seats in Upper on the 747 are a lot wider than those on the 330/787 and in bed mode at 6ft 6 I seemed to have a lot more room!
#948382 by mitchja
27 Jan 2019, 14:16
Thanks for the TR.

The 744 Upper Class Suite seat has always been wider with a larger arm rest compared to the other Upper Class suites on other VS A/C.

Not sure if there is any difference in bed mode length though now across the VS fleet?

I guess it depends on where you measure from and if you include the metal grill that is next to the cabin wall. That grill is wider on the 744's compared to other A/C.
#948383 by pjh
27 Jan 2019, 17:02
Thanks for both the TRs and the pictures.

I agree with you;

1. On the LV experience being something that should be tagged onto another trip. I've been three times in past 20 years, but only for a couple of days as part of another trip. As I don't gamble I just glory at the glitz and artificiality of it all.

2. Never go from an overnight long haul into a meeting. I did it just the once and found myself in effectively hallucinating...:)
#948392 by ColOrd
28 Jan 2019, 10:06
pjh wrote:2. Never go from an overnight long haul into a meeting. I did it just the once and found myself in effectively hallucinating...:)

Its funny, cos I had really prepared for it, only drank water, ate light, tried to sleep and thankfully the meeting being at the airport I thought would make it easier, but the fever as part of this flu/cold thing had really settled in so I just ended up feeling awful.
#948422 by VS075
31 Jan 2019, 13:39
Thanks for the TR's. Looked like you all had a great weekend.

I definitely agree with the others about avoiding going into meetings straight off an overnight flight, particularly in your case where you've crossed multiple time zones and had little time to adapt to the destination as it is. At least you survived and hope you're feeling better now.
#948450 by buns
01 Feb 2019, 18:43
Thanks for the brilliant brace of TRs and the snaps :D

Yes, the Gatwick Clubhouse remains the best (IMHO) I suppose because the team there are so well versed with dealing with the various types of passengers who pass through in a relatively short space of time every morning.

So good that the Crews both on the outbound and return were on top form.

Thanks once again

buns
Virgin Atlantic