Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#948446 by tomthumb
01 Feb 2019, 17:57
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
First of all my apologies for not posting this sooner

Well, on a wet Saturday morning it was time to travel to Gatwick to take our flight to Barbados. It was a trip that Mrs D had been looking forward to for a long time as we were staying at Sandpipers, a hotel which has been on her bucket list ever since we popped in there for a drink back in 1985!!!!

We got a lift from a friend who owed me one ( I had done the same for him a few months before ) and although it was wet and cold, the journey was uneventful to the airport and before long we were at check in. This went smoothly and security was very quick and before long we were in the club house.

You can't fault the place for service and staff and we had a great couple of hours there. I did the usual shout out to here and visited the spa had a face massage while Mrs D had her nails done. Afterwards we both had breakfast, and in my view it is never too early for champagne :D . As I I had posted my location on Social Media, friends gave me the usual abuse - but as I was off to Barbados I didn't really care !!!! :cool:

Boarding was one time and we got onto the 747 English Rose and a first for us being UC on that type of aircraft. With only 14 seats, all had been taken. I had looked at various YouTube trip reports and thought it looked rather cramped, but once you are actually there, it is surprisingly spacious and cosy.

Settled down to a welcome glass of bubbles and very attentive crew and great service, we were seated in 8 and 9K. The bar being only able to have two people didn't really matter and it was nice to be able to get a drink when you wanted.

There were 416 souls on board with 14 Cabin Crew, 2 Pilots, 5 babies and push back was bang on time. Of the babies didn't see any in PE so guess they all were in Economy.

Settled down into the seat and in my view it was a little tired but still comfortable and watch a few in flight movies which I wanted to catch up on. Food was good, had the steak and finished with cheese and biscuits along with a port and brandy.

Near to landing I had a light bite or a burger and crisps which was very pleasant and we landed on time at Grantly Adams International. Alas there was an Air Canada flight which had landed just before us, but we were on the apron in no time at all and it was nice having that warm Barbados sun on you as you had to walk briskly into Immigration.
#948447 by buns
01 Feb 2019, 18:29
Thanks for the TR
Just reading it made me envious of you having all that fun in the Gatwick Clubhouse :)

Strange to see a 747 on that route - the demand for premium seats normally justifies the 330, but as you say, the UC does give a feeling of space.

I am sure you had a wonderful time in Barbados

Thanks once again

buns
#948451 by hiljil
01 Feb 2019, 18:46
Thank you for your TR . Glad you had a good flight and I hope Sandpipers did not disappoint.
#948452 by tomthumb
01 Feb 2019, 19:09
Sandpipers was fantastic, in fact so good we have already booked again for this year
Virgin Atlantic