Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#948609 by dickydotcom
10 Feb 2019, 21:29
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was our first time in Virgin Upper from Heathrow so we wanted to try the Drive Through Check in.
Travelling in February we now always do an over night stop at the airport even though we are only 35 miles from Heathrow and 40 from Gatwick.
We lashed out the princely sum of £31.50 for a room at the Premier Inn at Terminal 4
It was a comfortable room with a view of the incoming aircraft.
We ate at the Thyme restaurant and found it good value for money.
Back to the room for a glass of Prosecco and a bit of TV before bed.
No clock in the room so I set my phone for 5 a.m. but Mrs D was up before that to make a cup of tea.
We had a car booked for 6.15 so that we should arrive at DTCI for 6.30
Parker cars were very efficient sending me a text message with the driver's location and photo and confirming he would arrive 15 minutes early, which he did. He was in reception when we got down stairs.
We arrived about 6.25 behind one other car and had to wait a few minutes to be let through.
Once up the ramp it efficiency personified. Two members of staff came out and whisked our cases to the check-in. We checked in and were given direction to security and the club house.
Security was a breeze, for me at least while Mrs D had a gently pat down. (at least it wasn't the usual secondary screening which she has had the last three years.)
We were in the Club House by 6.45 and ordering breakfast. I had a Cappuccino and eggs Benedict, while Mrs D had the full English and a cup of tea. Neither of us touched the alcohol feeling it was just too early.
Our flight was called about 8.30 for a 9.25 departure and we made our way to the gate where boarding was under way. There was a separate walkway for Upper and we were soon seated in 10A and 11A with a glass of Champagne in our hand. The crew welcomed us by name, which was nice especially as we are lowly Red travellers.
We pushed away on time but didn't take off until 9.50 as there was quite a queue for the runway.
It wasn't long after take off and we placed orders for an early lunch.
I had a butternut squash salad to start, followed by chicken. I skipped the sweet course in favour of cheese and biscuit. Mrs D had a salmon started and coffee rubbed steak followed by a chocolate torte.
It was all very tasty and more enjoyable because the FSM suggested we eat together.
After the meal Mrs D had her seat put into bed mode while just reclined and finished the book I was reading.
I did try to watch a film but the non touch IFE was very slow to respond and kept stopping every couple of minutes. I gave up. I was offered an Ipad but since I have never managed to watch a film on board I didn't see why this trip was going to be different.
A couple of hours before arrival we had afternoon tea with sandwiches and cakes which were quite pleasant.
The run into Atlanta was quite smooth. We were expecting a bit more turbulence, since we had had head winds of up to 150 mph along the way.
When we reached the gate there was a short wait for the ramp to be connected. We disembarked to the rear of the Upper cabin but we soon at Immigration. The kiosks were not in use but we were directed to an immigration officer without any queuing. She asked the purpose of our visit. We told her it was holiday. She took our photos and sent us on our was. It only took a couple of minutes.
We waited another five or ten minutes for our cases to arrive on the carousel and we were through customs without anyone speaking to us.
From there it was all a bit odd. We had to get a shuttle bus from the International terminal to the domestic terminal were the Skytrain then took us to the Marriott Gateway hotel.
I was a bit disappointed with the Marriott. No free WiFi in the room so I had to go down to the lobby to send an email back home confirming arrival. One tea bag in the room so another trip out to get a couple more.
In the morning breakfast was OK at best. The scramble egg was a solid congealed mass. Mrs D fared better because she had a fresh omelet cooked for her.
After breakfast we got back on the Skytrain for one more stop to the car rental and a 300 mile drive to where we are now in South Carolina looking down a rather windswept beach.
Dick D

Cant seem to add images. Once I figure it out I will edit and add them.
Last edited by dickydotcom on 11 Feb 2019, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
#948611 by woralla
10 Feb 2019, 23:32
Nice trip report.

I see you were on G-VBUG, the same 346 as my recent flight to New York. The IFES really is on its last legs. I noticed a number of iPads handed out where screens weren’t working properly.
#948614 by hiljil
11 Feb 2019, 07:52
Thank you for your TR. Glad you had a good flight and the bonus of a quick trip through immigration.

Hope you have an enjoyable stay in South Carolina.
#948615 by pjh
11 Feb 2019, 10:16
Thanks for the TR - looking good for our flight in just over a week. Great to hear you had good service - we like to eat together, even though it requires a synchronisation of knee movements. Shame about the IFE; looks like I’ll be packing another book.

Thanks for the tip about the car timing for the morning. I booked ours for 6am from the Hilton at T4 (the last gasp of my Hilton Points, and the first try out of my Diamond For Life status) so I think I’ll shift it to 6:15.
Virgin Atlantic