Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#950071 by s2driveruk
21 Apr 2019, 22:31
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
As a long time lurker on here i figured it was well past the time that i created a trip report. As VS have only recently started their early morning route VS158 from Boston to LHR, it might be useful to write about that rather than a pretty routine LHR-LAX flight in PE which took us out to the US.
With an 8:15am departure, we had an early alarm at the Westin Waterfront to dive through the tunnel to Terminal E. Quick note that if you intend staying there in the hope of being on an airport shuttle loop or the hotel having its own, oddly enough it doesn’t, according to the concierge it is ‘too close’ to have one...?!?! Anyway i digress and Uber black to the rescue to handle the number of bags.

Logan was deserted when we checked in at the UC desk as a long time Gold and we were dealt with in good humour for the hour. Some confusion over the number of bags and passengers initially suggested $100 for the ‘extra’ bag. After suggesting that 7 bags across four passengers would still mean were at least one bag shy of our PE entitlement, an apologetic smile was offered and all sorted.

With only 5 booked into UC according to Seat Alerts, i asked if i could guest not only my wife as my +1 but my 2 kids to the Clubhouse which was eventually agreed. They wanted to initially charge $60 per child which i struggled to process, not least in the London Clubhouse it was £15 but was waived due to the lounge being dead for our LA flight. With that sorted we sped through a quiet and efficient security line and down to floor 2 to the lounge.

We were literally the first people there and as a regular through BOS in recent months, it felt weird to be there in the morning! Staff were their usual friendly selves and offered coffee and a hot and cold breakfast. Worth noting that no alcoholic drinks were available but that wasn't an issue for us given the hour.

We boarded Diamond Girl, one of the A333 fleet at 7:35am to a very quiet PE cabin with nobody in the middle seats and only a few on the window pairs. The crew were decked in easter bunny ears and offered menus and orange or fizz, it felt rude not to celebrate Easter with a glass!

With 112 passengers quickly loaded, we were pushed back early from gate E8 and a 200m taxi and we were ready to line up and depart for a short, 5hr 51min flight to London.

With this being a day flight, shortly after take-off we had a breakfast with a main meal offered later into the flight. Lunch comprised of a tomato and mozzarella salad and a choice of beef in a peppercorn sauce, which i had, Thai chicken or gnocchi with kale and a chocolate torte for pud.

Gary, the FSM popped by to offer wines from the front which were gratefully received, a lovely Malbec.

As a returning Au he’d suggested moving me to UC as it was so quiet but with family and they all flew on G tickets, it would have been a very tall order to shunt all of us forward lol. Had a good chat about the new A350 and the cabin mockup which he was due to see next week.

One oddity worth noting on the booking was the family tickets were all offered an app check-in upgrade price of £979 per ticket for PE to UC whilst my PE revenue ticket bounced about all trip between £1100 and peaked at £4679!!!! Nothing was proactively offered at check-in for upgrades on an obviously dead quiet UC cabin, which i thought was odd.

Have to say, I prefer the Airbus to the Dreamliner, seats are nicer, especially with the moveable headrest ears and the PE cabin feels spacious and quieter in the cruise.

One of the crew had her family travelling back with her and her twin daughters offered the love hearts prior to arrival which was super-cute, they looked like they had fun walking the aisles with mum.

I was skeptical that a day flight would be popular on this route but i have to say it does seem to work pretty well, i felt very fresh on arrival, though it does trade off a visit to the T3 arrivals lounge for a shower and food which is always a nice finishing touch to an overnight flight.

We had a short hold over Bovington before landing on 09L to a lovely evening and sunset.
Happy to say this trip renews Au for another year and I promise to post other trip reports in the future!
Last edited by s2driveruk on 22 Apr 2019, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
#950074 by buns
22 Apr 2019, 06:47
Thanks for a great inaugural TR.

Although not that a frequent traveller to BOS, I still admire the Clubhouse there and the prospect of a day flight would not put me off visiting ;-)

Thanks for the TR and the photos

buns
#950077 by SlimpyJones
22 Apr 2019, 07:42
Thanks very much for the TR, the first of the new day flight it seems!

I do hope the new daytime service works out well. I can only assume not much business travel to the UK during the long weekend and not many holidaymakers coming home on the Sunday (it looks much busier today..!).

Tip: even if the flight is not selectable on the list, you can go back and edit the title afterwards I think with the correct flight number :-)
#950078 by s2driveruk
22 Apr 2019, 08:04
Aha...wondered how to correct the flight number! All done. Apparently BA operate a morning flight and that is what they are going up against, though the crew said it had been very quiet since 1st April launch, though today was supposed to be much busier as you say.
#950080 by ColOrd
22 Apr 2019, 13:19
Thanks for the TR, nice to see that the FSM offered the upgrade! That is very good service.

One of my crew friends has worked the new VS157/158 rotation three times since it launched and on one of them they only had 40 people.

Y is starting to fill up apparently but the premium cabins are much quieter which seems to be borne out by the report above. I hope it works out and becomes as popular as the VS25/26 rotation which is the New York equivalent.
Virgin Atlantic