Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#953057 by buns
13 Nov 2019, 16:50
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Well, although this trip started badly, by the end of the day it turned out to be another spectacular VS service offering.

By way of a prologue, I had originally booked the flight as PE, but through diligent use of Expertflyer (who by the way do have a feature to alert you to Reward availability) I was able to upgrade Mrs Buns and myself to UC. As a Reward booking, I was also able to book a CDC transfer using miles. I know some may say this is not a good use of miles, but as Mrs B and myself are awash with them after many years of re-qualifying, we do have the luxury of a good pot from which to draw.

As a proper CDC booking we were expecting a Tristar driver to pick us up on the morning of the flight. However the morning did not get off to a good start as the usual punctual arrival was not to be :-( Indeed, the driver was half an hour late! To add insult to injury, the driver was from Addison Lee so the ability to use the exclusive Upper Class ramp was not available.

That said, a quick 25 minute drive had us at Gatwick an hour after we had anticipated and both Check In and Premium Security were a breeze and we got into the Clubhouse in good time ;-)

Clearly, our demeanour was visible to the welcoming staff there, who were concerned to hear what had happened and made sure spa treatments were promptly booked :-D :-D
Whilst Mrs Buns opted for her usual full English breakfast, I have now taken to having some poached eggs on toast with the supreme hash browns they serve in the V Room. My request was accepted and my brekkie was delicious :)

As always, the service in the Gatwick Clubhouse was impeccable and whilst there contacted Virgin Customer Service to recount the morning, by way of giving some feedback as VS had been short changed. Without asking, both Mrs B and I were given 8,000 miles.

After a pleasurable and relaxing time in the Clubhouse we made the short walk to Gate 56 (not the usual trek to 560-570 gates) to our waiting aircraft G-VROS. Gate 56 appeared less of a scrum and with a short wait on the air bridge we were soon aboard.

Within a nanosecond of entering the UC Cabin we knew it was going to be a good flight. Warmly welcomed and made to feel valued customers long before the FSM had chance to welcome us personally. It may well have been the reason the Crew were so jolly was because they had a 48 hour layover in Orlando!

With 435 passengers aboard, we pushed back on time and were soon in the air. Our initial impressions of the crew were fully justified and the service was fantastic with the FSM playing her part.

I will not recount the menu as it was the same as kindly published by Kraken a few weeks back on his MAN to MCO trip. Suffice to say, the beef was absolutely gorgeous :-D :-D

With such an entertaining crew, I only managed to see half of Rocketman in the middle of chatting and having a nap as the proceedings weeks have been stressful to Mrs Buns and myself.

Afternoon Tea was served 90 minutes before landing and we landed at 5pm and for once we’re not held on the aircraft as a result of a full immigration hall. Our Global Entry worked fine and we were at the carousel (two being in operation, one for PE and UC and the other for Economy) long before the bags arrived. Even though we were selected for secondary customs screening - I think only because we were the first away from the carousel :) we we at baggage claim 8A on the ground floor in 30 minutes.

The drive from the airport did encounter traffic on the 417 but we were still in our room by 7pm

All in all, another stellar performance from VS

Thanks for reading

buns
#953061 by Lindsk
13 Nov 2019, 17:49
Thanks for the great TR, Buns. I am glad it worked out so well after your initial journey to LGW.

I love the V Room hash browns and always request those - I feel a bit cheeky asking , but really look forwards to them.

Have a great stay over there :cool:
#953065 by hiljil
13 Nov 2019, 21:19
Thank you for your enjoyable TR. I was pleased that things certainly improved for you after the initial blip . Good to read that the flight had a great crew and that you were on your way very quickly after landing.

Hope you are having some beautiful weather :cool:
#953070 by Kraken
14 Nov 2019, 00:17
A good trip report & good to catch up earlier in Orlando!

This trip report just proves that when you get a good engaging FSM, Virgin can deliver without the need for onboard showers / "residence" type private cabins! As you also say, you can normally tell within the first minute of two after boarding if it's going to be a good or bad flight.
#953074 by David
14 Nov 2019, 09:34
Morning Buns

Yes, love that feature of expertflyer, it really does work and saves you checking every hour for reward seats to open up.

The global entry system at Orlando also works really well, although they do seem to change it around every time we visit - I'm guessing once a lot of people cotton on, it will eventually start to get a bit slower although will still be better than normal immigration.

How I wish I was in sunny Orlando this morning, temps of -1 here in the Scottish Borders today.

Enjoy your trip

thanks

David
#953085 by buns
14 Nov 2019, 15:40
Thanks for all the kind comments

Kraken wrote:A good trip report & good to catch up earlier in Orlando!

This trip report just proves that when you get a good engaging FSM, Virgin can deliver without the need for onboard showers / "residence" type private cabins! As you also say, you can normally tell within the first minute of two after boarding if it's going to be a good or bad flight.

Yes, it was good to meet up yesterday - even if it turned out to be the first sub 80 Degree day in Orlando since March :-D
Really shouldn’t complain about the weather given all the tough times for many back in the U.K.

buns
Virgin Atlantic