This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#963430 by inkiboo
28 Feb 2024, 18:13
Due to medical reasons, I now can’t travel away with my wife and children in April.

If I bought a fully flexible UC ticket, could I join them in the lounge on the day, then decide not to travel, and get a full refund?

I’d happily pay for the ability to do this but obviously there is no way to get airside without a ticket.

Appreciate this is slightly cheeky.
#963432 by mitchja
28 Feb 2024, 18:25
Unlikely that will work as if you check-in then just don't fly, the system will likely just flag you as a no-show thus voiding any refund capability even on flexible fares.
#963433 by CommanderB
28 Feb 2024, 18:28
Good thinking but as mitchja says, probably won't work.

You could do the opposite though, buy the cheapest economy fare, have your family guest you into the lounge if they're in Upper, then just leave.

Expensive I know, but the only thing I can think of.
#963436 by Kraken
28 Feb 2024, 20:56
Some airlines can offload you when in the lounge - even if you have checked bags. About 10yrs ago my parents were flying to DXB on Emirates & my mum became very ill in the EK Business lounge at BHX (vomiting etc). No way could she travel so Emirates offloaded them & got the bags off the aircraft. They did make the trip, albeit two days later when she was better. Amazingly, Customs / UK Border let her keep her duty free purchases too in view of the circumstances (just cosmetics so not as though it was a mega expensive bottle of something).

Also about 15yrs ago I was travelling on VS LHR-JFK. There was a gentleman sitting at the bar while boarding was taking place. The FSM was going round every passsenger in Upper who was likely to be a single traveller as per the manifest offering them a downgrade for "lots of Flying Club miles". I can only assume the gentleman at the bar was one of those absolute top-tier FC club members (with hand luggage only) and VS were trying to accommodate him in Upper. The FSM got no takers for the downgrade & girlfriend heard the FSM telling him "it was a seat in Economy or make your own travel arrangements" when she visited the toilet as boarding was completing. He walked and offloaded himself.
#963438 by inkiboo
29 Feb 2024, 12:48
I phoned Virgin and got the answer on how flexible tickets are.

Up to four hours before departure you can get a full refund.
Up to three hours before, but not if you’ve checked in, you can change the flight.

On the latter, at Virgin’s discretion they will allow you to change the flight inside that three hours or if you’ve checked in.
Virgin Atlantic