This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#162738 by AlanA
08 Mar 2007, 10:22
I have a 43" Pioneer PDP 435-XDE plasma and have had it now for almost three years. Outstanding TV, no problems whatsoever with it in the three years. It only had one HDMi input, the later ones now have two, but I have SKY HD connected through the HDMi connector and my Denon DVD player through Component.
It comes with Analogue TV and DVB tuners.
The latest incarnation the PDP427-XD comes with 1080/24P compatability.
I would recommend this model range to anyone looking for an excellent picture and quality unit.
#162742 by easygoingeezer
08 Mar 2007, 10:40
Thanks for all your help lads n lasses, I should have come on here first before discovering shop assistants don't do product training anymore[oo]
#163528 by Strawberry Muppet
15 Mar 2007, 03:03
I would go for an LCD from that list, probably the Toshiba is the best choice to go for as it's 1080p and is the only one that can fully exploit the capabilities of the PS3.

I wouldn't worry about SKY HD, the channel offerings are poor and are no match in terms of PQ to dedicated HD scources such as Toshibas HD DVD players and the PS3's Blu-Ray drive. Sky HD is just a waste of money IMO.

I actually have a Sony WEGA LCD first generation screen, KLV 30MR1, a floating glass design panel that was Sony's flagship LCD model 4 years ago. It has no digital inputs like HDMI or DVI but I couldn't care less.

The only HD source I have with it is my superb XBOX 360 and the HD DVD drive that Microsoft recently released. Watching movies on my 360 through the HD DVD drive via VGA, the picture is awesome and can easily match some of the more feature rich screens available today. I can also watch standard definition DVDs which the XBOX upscales to the HD resolution I have set my TV to.

In short, even a 4 year old LCD can still do the business so my choice would be LCD all the way.
#163538 by MarkJ
15 Mar 2007, 10:46
Used these before and had great service, quick delivery and low prices

RGB Direct
#163631 by catsilversword
16 Mar 2007, 07:34
Originally posted by MarkJ
Used these before and had great service, quick delivery and low prices

RGB Direct

Pity they don't take Amex..........[:(!]
#164876 by honey lamb
24 Mar 2007, 20:49
So what did you do today, honey lamb?

Well, given the fact that Aer John had headed off to golf in Killarney with the club and left me with exclusive use of my car, I decided it would be a total waste if I didn't use it. So, armed with information from this thread I hightailed it up to Cork city to one of the electrical appliance stores. There, I totally amazed the guy who dealt with me with my (V-flyer acquired) knowledge who quickly realised here was someone not to be trifled with and who answered all my questions thoroughly. Although we do have Sky in the house it is not currently attached to the main television and I decided that I would go for the multi-room option and also the Sky HD. The Sky box is costing me Û300 which works out at just over £200. I have to say that at no stage was I pushed into anything I didn't want, nor told that I needed extended warranties, extra gizmos or anything else compatible with life and yer man was excellent, even to the point of ringing Sky himself on my behalf.

The result is I am now a proud owner (well I will be when it gets delivered) of a Toshiba 32" LCD Television paid for by my ex-colleagues from work as a retirement pressie.

Thanks guys!! (Both those at work who may or may not read V-Flyer, and those on this thread who made me so knowledgeable) [y]
#164899 by Strawberry Muppet
25 Mar 2007, 04:34
My brother queued up for 3 hrs at the Tottenham Court Road Virgin Megastore in London for the midnight launch on Friday of the PS3 and was rewarded with a FREE 46" Sony Bravia "W" Series 1080p LCD worth a whopping £2,300! An unbelievable present from Sony for everyone who bought the PS3 and my brother still can't believe it. I'm so jealous of him!
#165315 by easygoingeezer
29 Mar 2007, 13:59
Originally posted by Strawberry Muppet
My brother queued up for 3 hrs at the Tottenham Court Road Virgin Megastore in London for the midnight launch on Friday of the PS3 and was rewarded with a FREE 46" Sony Bravia "W" Series 1080p LCD worth a whopping £2,300! An unbelievable present from Sony for everyone who bought the PS3 and my brother still can't believe it. I'm so jealous of him!

I would be very interested to hear his review on this TV, primarily its performance on standard digital television.
Fabulous gift from Sony, its so nice to hear of something nice happening to people[y]
#165324 by catsilversword
29 Mar 2007, 15:48
Originally posted by Strawberry Muppet

Does he keep pinching himself???!!!
#166089 by Strawberry Muppet
04 Apr 2007, 14:47
Hi egg,

My brother is still waiting for his LCD as he only got this letter a few days ago (I'm posting it on here for everyone to read and be jealous![}:)]).
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/strawb23/DSC01951-1.jpg[/img][}:)]

From what I've learned from my brother the W Series is the most advanced Bravia LCD from Sony. There are only five ranges Sony produce for their Bravias. The U and S series are entry level range, next up is the V Series which is their mid-level range and finally the W and X Series, Sony's flagship range. Only the W and X Series support full 1080p on the PS3.

Although the W Series is cheaper than the X Series (mainly because of the chassis) it has a better contrast ratio because it was released after the X Series and has the latest technology. The W Series has an LCD on-screen contrast ratio of 1800:1, with a Dynamic Contrast Ratio (DCR) up to 8000:1 compared to the X Series which only has a DCR up to 7000:1.

If you google the LCD which my brother will be receiving shortly (KDL-46W2000U) I'm sure you will find plenty of reviews on it. It's also the only one of all five series to win the What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision Award for product of the year (TVs) 2006.
#166091 by Scrooge
04 Apr 2007, 14:56
Sweet !

I still have not picked up the new Tv, the Samsung I was looking at has been discontinued, however there is a Mitubishi that has now taken my fancy.
#166105 by Neil
04 Apr 2007, 15:47
Your brother is very lucky, the tv he is getting is very good! we have just been looking at a new HD tv and whilst I would love the Sony, my finances can only stretch to the Panasonic PX70 Plasma, which I hope is going to be ok[:?]
#166287 by AndyR
05 Apr 2007, 18:41
Thats a cool gift from Sony. Apparently it cost them £250,000 doing that, so they would have been WAY better off just given everyone at the store the PS3 for free instead.

I would have pee'd myself if I was him though :)
Virgin Atlantic