This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#163065 by Littlejohn
11 Mar 2007, 19:58
Yes, and do feel free to PM me if you want a chat (I placed the advert ;)). Also one of our members will be doing the race this year. What is it like:
It's the most emotional thing you ever did.
It's the most difficult thing you ever did.
It's the most amazing thing you ever did.
It's the most satisfying thing you ever did.
And it's the wettest thing you ever did.

Hopefully you would say that it's the best thing you ever did,......, yet!

Remember that you do not have to do the whole race, but could do part at a significantly lower cost.

Either way, I hope you will follow the progress of these extraordinary people as they set off this summer to race round the world.
#163192 by VS-EWR
12 Mar 2007, 21:27
Originally posted by Littlejohn
Yes, and do feel free to PM me if you want a chat (I placed the advert ;)). Also one of our members will be doing the race this year. What is it like:
It's the most emotional thing you ever did.
It's the most difficult thing you ever did.
It's the most amazing thing you ever did.
It's the most satisfying thing you ever did.
And it's the wettest thing you ever did.

Hopefully you would say that it's the best thing you ever did,......, yet!

Remember that you do not have to do the whole race, but could do part at a significantly lower cost.

Either way, I hope you will follow the progress of these extraordinary people as they set off this summer to race round the world.

Do we know who this member is? The challenge sounds really cool, and I have to say it's definitely a different experience than flying around the world.
#163309 by Littlejohn
13 Mar 2007, 20:33
It certainly is different - for a start every passenger gets a fully flat bed! Nor are there any restrictions on the liquids you can put into your carry on bags.

I cannot remember whether the member in question had said to the board that they were going. So I better respect confidentiality, but will mention it next time I see her.
#165616 by jmf
01 Apr 2007, 17:19
Hi there,

How spooky ....

It's been a while since I've been here, but for some reason I popped back to check out the forum ... and what do I spot but an advert for the Clipper race and a quick search brought me to this thread. Jeremy I should have known you were responsible for the ad :D

I'm the board member that has signed up to do the race and have completed 2 parts of my 3 training sessions and I'm loving every minute of it. I was a complete novice before signing up and my first training session was the first time I'd ever set foot on a yacht. Now I'm well and truly hooked. As well as training in Gosport I've had the opportunity to sail from to and from some great places - Liverpool, Cardiff, London, Bilbao and Hull. It's been an incredible experience so far and the race hasn't started yet!

I'm not doing the whole thing (sadly that is well out of my price range), but I am signed up to do 2 legs which will take me from Australia to the West Coast of North America (port yet to be announced) via Singapore, Qingdao, Pusan and Hawaii.

If you're interested in following my training exploits and the race itself then I do have my own site, so feel free to drop by.

Over the next couple of months I'll have to start thinking about my travel arrangements for getting out to Oz and back from the US/Canada , which is probably what made me think of this place. So I'll definitely be back a bit more frequently to get some advice on that.
#165843 by PVGSLF
03 Apr 2007, 09:49
Wow, fly out to Oz and back from the West Coast USA, that's one pretty big "Open Jaw".
I once booked out to Mumbai and back from Shanghai, which caused a few queries when I booked it.

Anyway... best wishes on the endeavor. I get a bit scared when sailing out of sight of land, across the Pacific would be awesome!
#165959 by jmf
03 Apr 2007, 21:03
Cheers PVG.

The main problem with yacht racing is you never know when you're going to arrive so it's hard to know when to book that ticket home for :D
Virgin Atlantic