This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#18651 by andrew.m.wright
04 Apr 2007, 07:51
This thread is prompted by my recent trip to New York :D

Where on a visit to the UN Building I was nearly ejected for taking a photo of the rocket parts in the garden.

Appartanly under UN Rules it's forbidden to take a photo with a Camera on a fully extended tripod [^]

After a dressing down from the guard ... I was then told it was ok to use the tripod if it wasn't extended [}:)]

If I didn't comply I'd be ejected [V]

Over to you for more bizzare travel stories & experiences :D
#166080 by jaguarpig
04 Apr 2007, 13:58
Don't fuss the US drug/bomb dog as in "step back do not touch the federal agent":D
#166082 by McCoy
04 Apr 2007, 14:12
Walking past the US 'Administration buildings' in Havana, Cuba...

You're allowed to walk, look, chat, even take a photo.. but you mustn't STOP.. or STAND STILL. But you can take a photo on the move.. that's just fine.. just keep moving!

[?]
#166090 by Howard Long
04 Apr 2007, 14:54
Originally posted by andrew.m.wright
Over to you for more bizzare travel stories & experiences :D

Almost every time I go through an airport 'security' cordon. Shoes on, shoes off, laptops out, no sir place your coat in with the laptop, no sir laptop must be in separate tray, shaving and deodorant sticks that are deadly weapons in one airport not in another, put boarding card and ID through scanner, don't put boarding card and ID through scanner, you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykzqFz_nHZE with apologies if this has already been published on the site.

Cheers, Howard
#166095 by Scrooge
04 Apr 2007, 15:06
Well let's see, driving 250 miles in a mini bus full of singing British people to go see an airplane boneyard.

Being told by a purser on a cruise ship that there was in fact not a stairway running past the bedroom window to my suite (I had only been on the ship 20 mins and was not yet drunk).

Being detained at LAX and spending an hour explaining why I had some wedding presents in my carry on you have to know me to understand that one :D and yes they were what you were thinking..including the pink furry ones [:0]..then spending another hour listen to the GF chew my ear off.
#166204 by Richard
04 Apr 2007, 23:40
Grantley Adams is soooo laid back..!!
#166246 by DMetters-Bone
05 Apr 2007, 12:13
On entry to the US (can't remember what airport) to be told that I had never left the US? Considering there was a 747 sitting there, that I had just got off!! Because they didn't stamp or record that I left they thought I had stayed on! Spent an hour explaining that I had come from the UK!
#166249 by AlanA
05 Apr 2007, 12:28
Birmingham Airport security:- "please place your breifcase in our size check unit sir"
(it's 1mm too wide to fit properly") "Sorry sir, you cannot take that on board as hand luggage"
(Me pointing to the flight crew for my flight going past) "Its the exact same case as those two are carrying"
Security man "well its too big to go on as hand luggage sir"
Virgin Atlantic