This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#962107 by dmc
05 Aug 2023, 19:26
I have a flight coming up this week in Premium and thinking about going with hand baggage only to avoid waiting for bags the other side, plus it's a short trip.

I know Flying Club gold members get an additional check-in bag, but is there any additional hand baggage allowance over the standard 1 x 10kg?

One or two websites out there suggest there is, but I'm presuming they're either out-of-date or just plain wrong, as I can't see anything on the Virgin website about any additional allowance.
#962108 by mitchja
05 Aug 2023, 19:55
There are no additional cabin bag allowances unfortunately, even for AU's.

It's only when flying Upper Class you are allowed 2 cabin bags. Premium and Economy are the same at 1 x10Kg.

Full details can be found here.
#962109 by dmc
05 Aug 2023, 23:17
Thanks James,

I was pretty sure that was the case (no pun intended :-)) so thanks for confirming. I will just have to pack light!
#962110 by CommanderB
05 Aug 2023, 23:21
Somehow I had in my head that Au’s can take one extra piece of cabin baggage with them on top of their standard allowance.

I’ve been doing this since qualifying as Au in 2016. Never been questioned about it at all. So it’s obviously loosely enforced… :blush:

Needless to say, I have no intentions of stopping this either :-D
#962188 by dmc
16 Aug 2023, 01:31
Just circling back to my own question, I was looking for something else on the website today and happened to notice an answer on this page about Gold benefits, which says "Take one extra piece of hand and hold luggage":

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/gb/e ... efits.html

So looks like you were right, CommanderB.. unless the policy changed and this is another case of the VS website having been updated in one place and not in others..
#962196 by CommanderB
16 Aug 2023, 15:23
dmc wrote:Just circling back to my own question, I was looking for something else on the website today and happened to notice an answer on this page about Gold benefits, which says "Take one extra piece of hand and hold luggage":

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/gb/e ... efits.html

So looks like you were right, CommanderB.. unless the policy changed and this is another case of the VS website having been updated in one place and not in others..

Oh so I wasn't going mad, great! :-D

The website being inconsistent is an excuse to abuse this anyway. Anyone says anything - point them to that page and shrug!
#962198 by dmc
16 Aug 2023, 17:11
Actually I just noticed towards the bottom of my most recent booking confirmation email it also confirms one extra piece of hand luggage for Au:

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 17.08.07.png
Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 17.08.07.png (46.37 KiB) Viewed 1916 times

I don't know why I didn't notice / think to look there before!
Virgin Atlantic