#962693 by buns
28 Oct 2023, 12:51
Well, this TR has come about following a response to a post I made recently and I hope you are not bored – dare I say uninterested by what I am about to divulge in a school style “Compare & Contrast” essay.

The Prologue

Mrs Buns and I last took a trip on VS in May of this year and the return trip was so dire that we both seriously considered remaining with VS (total chaos with the crew in the cabin as I subsequently found out some Wizz in Crawley decided it was perfectly fine for new recruits to serve the Upper Class Cabin with little or no actual experience under experienced mentors – a decision which I understand has now been rescinded!!).

Anyways, due to a collection of Avios by Mrs Buns, as a consequence we had not only amassed sufficient Avios for a trip Stateside but also a lovely 2-4-1 voucher!! To fit in with plans to join some friends (former V Flyers BTW) on a trip to San Diego we planned utilising the new BA A350 Cabin, and fortuitously flying out of Terminal 3 whereby a proper “Lounge Crawl” could be undertaken.

Travel to Heathrow

In order to compare the services, I choose Addison Lee to take us to the Airport. One interesting snippet I discovered is they have recently re-secured the contract with Emirates and this no doubt was the rationale between being offered a pickup at either 6am and 9am as clearly the contract work is taking precedence over personal bookings. As a Lounge Crawl was one of our desired activities, we naturally opted by 6 am. As is to be expected with Addison Lee, the driver turned up early and we were at Heathrow Terminal 3 within 45 minutes– albeit outside the Main Terminal rather than a designated Upper Class Wing. First Round to VS then!

Check in was quick, straightforward and overall a rather pleasant experience – but then again it was 6 hours prior to our departure!! After completing the process we were directed to a specific escalator to take us up to the upper level adjacent to the Fast Track Security entrance. Quickly processed we found ourselves in the main Terminal Lounge area BEYOND the Duty Free Rat Run.

On balance, I would say BA have the edge here especially as you miss the long and winding road through the smelly offerings and booze temptations.

The Lounges

At the outset, I am going to say nothing compares with the Virgin Clubhouse in terms of service and range that is readily on offer. However, for the purposes of this essay, I will enlighten you of our experience.

Our first port of call was the BA Lounge, which is accessed down an unimpressive corridor. The Lounge itself was perfectly functional and had windows. There was a basic breakfast buffet on offer and coffee machines to compliment. Self Service Bars were available, but I have to say, pouring yourself a drink does makes it a little too obvious at 7am. My overall assessment is it is like a works cafeteria occupied by far too many status chasers.

We then moved on to the American AirlinesLounge. This is far worse than the BA offering with an almost hospital cafeteria ambience about it and there was far less than BA had to offer – our fairly swift assessment was – avoid at all costs.

Mrs Buns and I then retired to the Cathay Pacific Lounge – a haven of tranquility after the awful AA Lounge. Some comfy seats overlooking the apron, some delightful champagne and loos on par with the Clubhouse!!

So definitely a VS win here.

On Board

Well, thanks for keeping with me so far! Our Gate was at the far extremity of T3 at Gate 42, so we were grateful for the yomp. A one year old A350, it was a good opportunity to compare to the VS A350 we had returned in May onboard.

First impressions was the BA hard product is pleasing to the eye on boarding and more importantly, the fixtures and fittings are “industrial grade” showing relatively little signs of wear in comparison to the VS A350. The seat was far more comfortable and the provision of a full door gives you a much better feeling of seclusion. And this got a big thumbs up from both Mrs Buns and myself. Our recollection of the VS hard product back in May was the seat looked worn, the surrounds knocked about and little or no storage.

BA win hands down here

Champagne offered upon boarding as well as refills before take off! Indeed, the service throughout the flight was exceptional with the CC looking after us more akin to some of the best VS CC we have encountered over the years. This exceeded the expectation of having haughty CC (think the David Walliams character) and we could not have asked for a more pleasurable encounter.

When it came to the food, BA just knocks VS out of the park. The choices on offer were varied, all were substantial portions and the food itself wholesome. I started with the pea soup, then Braised Welsh leg of lamb and finishing with the cheese. Any fears of missing out on choices as we were sat at the back of the cabin were quickly allayed by the CC who assured us there was plenty of every choice when we ordered.

A vast range of both film/TV and audio on the IFE kept us both entertained throughout the long flight and I used the Wi-Fi, which I found very useful to give our friends a running commentary of our progress. When it came to the second meal (or “Light Meal” as BA described it) the massive Chicken and vegetable pie was entirely wonderful and for the very first time of flying the Atlantic, Mrs Buns and I did not feel the need to eat in the hotel on our first night.

Conclusion

Overall, an excellent flight on an aircraft that is far superior to the VS offering and with on board service that was up there with what we had, until recently, come to expect on VS. If we could obtain the same sort of offer in the future, we would jump at the chance.

We are shortly about to undertake a trip to MCO on VS and as the thread on the new Upper Class menu seems to suggest, there is not much to look forward to the somewhat over-seasoned offerings - which always indicate the caterer is trying to mask something – as opposed to the good, wholesome fayre we enjoyed on this flight.

Thank You for taking the trouble to read this long TR and hope you enjoy the snaps I took!!

Buns
Attachments
4CFC126D-FD71-492F-9702-A5CB150EDC57.jpeg
Pea Soup
4CFC126D-FD71-492F-9702-A5CB150EDC57.jpeg (27.64 KiB) Viewed 12228 times
C5D75AD3-E292-43FF-8DE9-8BD3F1BE1F9C.jpeg
Braised Welsh Lamb
C5D75AD3-E292-43FF-8DE9-8BD3F1BE1F9C.jpeg (31.56 KiB) Viewed 12228 times
59A74883-0B5B-49C0-A7C3-774B410CD185.jpeg
Cheese Plate
59A74883-0B5B-49C0-A7C3-774B410CD185.jpeg (26.96 KiB) Viewed 12228 times
FFCA135F-8DBB-4FF6-9BFF-0F55BE07DDB0.jpeg
Chicken and Vegetable Pie
FFCA135F-8DBB-4FF6-9BFF-0F55BE07DDB0.jpeg (27.75 KiB) Viewed 12228 times
#962695 by mitchja
28 Oct 2023, 13:17
Thanks for the TR Buns. Sorry but there's still nothing that would convince me to switch to BA especially now they have rolled out their ludicrous new revenue based AVIOS earning system >-(

What was the afternoon snack service like with BA as VS often wins hands down for that one?

Edit to add - the presentation of the food is pretty poor though (especially that lamb) as you don't see stained plates / dishes like that with VS.
#962696 by buns
28 Oct 2023, 13:27
mitchja wrote:Thanks for the TR Buns. Sorry but there's still nothing that would convince me to switch to BA (London Airways) especially now they have rolled out their ludicrous new revenue based AVOIS earning system >-(

What was the afternoon snack service like with BA as VS often wins hands down for that one?

The “Light Meal” consisted of a starter of either smoked chicken or mozzarella grilled courgette followed by a choice of chicken and vegetable pie or tiger prawns or pesto trofie pasta. There was also a dessert ginger crème caramel!

As you will have read, I opted for the chicken pie and declined a starter. To be perfectly honest, the portions were more than you get for a main meal with VS.

I will be interested to see what we get with VS when we fly to MCO with the next month.

Buns
#962697 by Claphambear
28 Oct 2023, 15:59
Thank you Buns

A wonderful post and comparison (well done - very useful to many I am sure)

We undertook a flight to LAX on Thursday and without doubt it was hands down one of the best (my partner says The best) we have ever ha from drive thru to clubhouse to onboard experience (crew & food 6*) so proof to us then VS get it right then do excel but when they get it wrong it stinks (but we had that on BA in Feb this year too - a very poor flight in BA First)
#962698 by buns
28 Oct 2023, 16:32
Claphambear wrote:Thank you Buns

A wonderful post and comparison (well done - very useful to many I am sure)

We undertook a flight to LAX on Thursday and without doubt it was hands down one of the best (my partner says The best) we have ever ha from drive thru to clubhouse to onboard experience (crew & food 6*) so proof to us then VS get it right then do excel but when they get it wrong it stinks (but we had that on BA in Feb this year too - a very poor flight in BA First)

Thanks.

Could not agree more. When VS are good, they cannot be beaten on service. I will reserve judgement on the food until our flight next month.

Buns
#962701 by Murraymint
28 Oct 2023, 19:20
Thank you for this excellent TR Buns.

I am still loyal to VS, however, I have to say that the BA Club Suite is excellent. The crew does make a difference and the Club House still reigns supreme but overall, with the menu options, BA are catching up quickly.

For me, travelling to the US from Cyprus, BA are making it much better and easier than trying to get there with VS. I acknowledge that I am in a minority in that regard but I have always tried to get to the UK first to enjoy the VS experience - these days it’s getting harder to justify.
#962702 by David1946
28 Oct 2023, 21:15
Thanks Buns for an interesting comparison. Hopefully somebody in VS hierarchy will read this and maybe, just maybe , we will see an improved menu. Otherwise we have always found the Manchester crews great.and the service excellent. Having just flown SQ to IAH and back the flight and crew were good but would still prefer VS.
#962718 by Treelo
29 Oct 2023, 11:41
Thanks for the detailed TR, Buns. Let's hope someone at VS takes the menu onboard (no pun intended) and comes up with some decent offerings. Like the other posters, I have always found the VS crews to be great. :)
#962721 by buns
29 Oct 2023, 16:32
Murraymint wrote:Thank you for this excellent TR Buns.

I am still loyal to VS, however, I have to say that the BA Club Suite is excellent. The crew does make a difference and the Club House still reigns supreme but overall, with the menu options, BA are catching up quickly.

Many Thanks - Could not agree more

Buns
#962723 by buns
29 Oct 2023, 16:39
Thanks David 1946 and Treelo

I suspect that Crawley Towers will not pay a blind bit of notice to my TR, let alone any comments they may receive about the new menus :-(

As a true believer in the Virgin Atlantic Brand and indeed a continued supporter, I suspect those in charge of the purse strings at VS and many other airlines have far more sway right now.

Thank you for your comments

Buns
#962728 by Hev60
30 Oct 2023, 00:12
Hi Buns hope you & your wife enjoyed your trip to San Diego and I found your comparison trip report very interesting.

I have made two journeys on VS this year. To Tampa on a brand new Airbus 900 Neo in April and then in August to MCO on a A350-1000. On both occasions the Upper Class cabin crew were friendly & efficient as usual. The few hours spent in the clubhouse again was excellent.

However the actual air-travelling time was awful. Both aircraft are in my opinion absolutely horrible. The ‘suite’ is extremely claustrophobic. There is no space and the seat is so darn uncomfortable. Once in bed mode, it’s even worse. The food on all four trips was disgusting. On our return trip from Tampa, the FSM actually mouthed the word “sorry” as she handed the full English breakfast offering! I would also add the Lounge offered at TPA is diabolical, a really dull depressing windowless room.

I have my last ever flight booked with VS in March travelling to SFO using up all our points and reward vouchers and Im not looking forward to the travelling at all. Viewing the current menu, I’m also dreading the food. I intend to pick up something from the clubhouse before we board. It’s going to be a long journey in another A350.

I am afraid after supporting VS as a tourist customer every year since 1991, I am deflecting to the other side. Maybe their lounge (for a few hours) is not so comfortable but the whole onboard experience is more important to me. Again I note that there has been a devaluation in their Avios scheme but having status or booking reward flights has increasingly become a low priority to me. I want value for money and like so many honest trip reports of late, I am afraid Virgin Atlantic are falling short on the expectations of their loyal customers.
Does anyone at Crawley Towers care? Simple answer is No.
#962733 by Kraken
30 Oct 2023, 22:14
Thanks for the trip report Buns - it certainly seems that BA are smashing it on the food front (not exactly difficult given VS's current offerings).

On our last MCO return flight back in June the FSM specifically asked me if I had been satisfied with the food onboard - and I replied an emphatic NO both ways. She said she would write my comments up in her report. I do suspect that she actually did as in the past when I was promised FC miles for a broken UC seat (no recline, let alone bed mode) and I had to chase these up with the Executive Office / Customer Relations, they did say they could see the FSM's notes and grovelled and applied extra miles.

I cannot say I am looking forward to dining onboard to MCO in 4 and a bit weeks time. Will be eat as much as possible in the 1903 lounge breakfast buffet at MAN. On the return if that "streaky bacon breakfast roll" (about 90% fat) is still on offer, I will avoid & buy breakfast in Starbucks in T2 Arrivals (landside) - not exactly how you should have to plan a Business Class trip is it Virgin? Sort it out!
#962734 by mallin
31 Oct 2023, 15:09
Hi Buns,

Thanks for the very informative trip report, much of which I hole heartily agree with.

As hubby and I had accrued quite a few miles we decided to book a flight to Vegas mid October this year. The flight times changed several times but we were pleased with the 12.45 take off.

Check in was a nightmare it took nearly an hour the agents kept disappearing and not coming back, one had a problem with some customers , there was no one keeping anyone informed , and everyone in the line just kept looking at each other.

When we eventually made to the clubhouse it was extremely busy, glad we had breakfast in the hotel only a few seats left. The personal service of drinks was superb. The gate was very full and priority boarding seemed very hit and miss.

We were on a Dreamliner it was no dream. Seat was uncomfortable and tv screen awful , the meal was very mediocre, the best was the warm scone later in the flight,like you we have been with Ba for several years due to the companion voucher and for us it wins hands down.

It will be a very long time before we fly with Virgin again. Linda
#962747 by buns
05 Nov 2023, 16:57
Kraken wrote:Thanks for the trip report Buns - it certainly seems that BA are smashing it on the food front (not exactly difficult given VS's current offerings).

I cannot say I am looking forward to dining onboard to MCO in 4 and a bit weeks time.

Mallin wrote:Hi Buns,

Thanks for the very informative trip report, much of which I hole heartily agree with.
We were on a Dreamliner it was no dream. Seat was uncomfortable and tv screen awful , the meal was very mediocre, the best was the warm scone later in the flight,like you we have been with Ba for several years due to the companion voucher and for us it wins hands down.

It will be a very long time before we fly with Virgin again.

Thank you both for you kind and supportive comments - at least I don't feel I am entirely off the mark with my views on food.

Mrs Buns and I have just received the pre order menu for our upcoming flight and I have to say, even single offering has been laced with some highly "flavoursome" ingredient :-( What has happened to offering plain old basic menu options?

Thanks once again and I will do a TR

buns
Virgin Atlantic