This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#963778 by etk
15 Apr 2024, 19:20
So after a covid and new child enforced break from transatlantic flying we did a trip to New York over Easter. It's been six years since we've flown with Virgin so I was really excited to get back to it.

Unfortunately, it was a real let down. I can't believe how poor the whole experience was compared to a few years ago.

Some parts were decent - check in was great, security a breeze (we even went through one of the new scanners so didn't have to unpack our hand luggage). Even the 1903 lounge was good, not like a clubhouse but way better than the other MAN lounges. We also used the new mobile passport control app so immigration at JFK was quick and smooth.

But the experience on board felt a huge step down from our previous trips. We were on an ancient A330-300 so the seats were tatty, the control buttons were so worn you couldn't tell what was what. The crew were reasonably friendly but no real chat and the food/drink was shocking. When we first flew upper about ten years ago it felt like a really premium product, superb wine selection (back in the berry bros days) and lots of really tasty food options, this was so bad in comparison.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I genuinely wouldn't bother with it again if this is how things are now. A premium economy seat at half the price feels like a much better deal, especially on a short day flight like this. We had an amazing trip overall - five nights in New York, child free is always going to be great - but the flight part, something I used to get really excited about, was a real let down.

Interested in how people are finding the LHR flights, are the newer aircraft worth doing UC in?
#963779 by OliverD241
15 Apr 2024, 21:08
I am so sorry to read of your disappointing flight in UC.

Our first ever transatlantic flight (and first VS flight) was January 2022 to MCO from Manchester.
Loved the 1903 lounge (ok it’s not the clubhouse but still enjoyable).

Our flight was the A330-300, at this time being our first time in Business/UC, we loved it.

Our second trip was to NYC/Las Vegas in June 2022 but from LHR. Again; outbound A330, but return was with Delta in D1, on Boeing 767-400 (the refitted ones). Since that flight, we couldn’t possibly imagine stepping back on to a VS A330-300. These along with the B787 (or if 787 are refitted), need to be retired asap.
A lot of people always say that average age of the fleet is 7/8 years which is relatively low, and at the time I am sure the design of A330/B 787 was appreciated. In todays market, there a lot of superior products. The seats are comfortable but the product is not modern, is looking old and tired. Besides, not associating just to A330/B787, but my UC seats were so dirty. Hair and chewing gum and all rubbish at the back and down the sides. Not what I expected just after Covid and after paying a lot of money. Did receive quite a lot of points as compensation ; but I expect a clean seat and surroundings.

My parents flew to JFK in UC on A350-1000 and they loved it and said it was miles better than A330. We will be flying on this when we come back from Washington in 3 weeks.

Jan 2023 we had the pleasure of flying to Tampa on the Neo. This product I love. Very modern and great features. We booked the retreat suites which were amazing. The privacy doors that close all the way are. A gamer changer.. I removed my first flight to MCO in UC on A330-300 and a girl around 4 years was running up and down the aisle whilst dad was getting drunk (they had to stop serving him during the flight) with the Neo: just close the door and you are in your own cocoon.
We should be flying on the Neo in a couple of weeks to Boston.
I will mostly always fly with VS for USA trips. For me, the staff have always been friendly, welcoming and attentive.

I just wish they would have a more consistent fleet. Each product on A330-300, Neo, A350, B 787 is different in UC.
#963780 by Joshl257
16 Apr 2024, 09:38
I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t have the best experience. Yes the new security scanners are brilliant the sooner they get rolled out across all lanes are better. The 1903 lounge can be real hit and miss I find if you’re on an afternoon flight the lounge isn’t as crowded. I feel there has been a real slip in standards over the past two years crew no longer address you by name in upper and the planes are looking and bit tired. By comparison when I felt from LHR it was a brand new plane and with TPA being a new flight at the time the crew and services was quite good. So I think it a simple case of VS not keeping things up to scratch in MAN. I’m not sure if you’re aware that Virgin have now pulled its planned clubhouse for Manchester anther example of lack of investment.

My general rule for booking upper if the flight is over 9 houses then it’s worth it because you have enough time to eat and sleep. Otherwise I book premium as that’s normally the best value JFK is normally 7 hours going and 6 on the return so if you are in upper best eat in the lounge at JFK. I hope Virgin send some of there new planes to MAN because I think this would help improve the customer experience dramatically. They get 6 deliveries this year from Airbus so hopefully we see some on rotation only time will tell.
#963783 by EstelleB
16 Apr 2024, 18:09
Hi Mabby, I wondered where you got this info? My booking MAN-MCO in August still shows the outbound as on the 330-300 and just return on the 350-1000?

I'd almost prefer it to be the other way around as I've read that the 330 which I have been on before is better for sleeping!
#963787 by Mabby
16 Apr 2024, 21:15
Hi EstlleB, you can find the information on flightradar24 web site, filter for Virgin Atlantic, currently the morning VS75 is a A330 and the afternoon VS73 is the A350.

My booking for June is still showing this configuration, but as always things might change?
#963810 by flashh0
18 Apr 2024, 14:47
Hi

I have to say I agree, we flew upper class back in 2022 and it was a real let down. It didn’t feel like a premium product at all. I stark contrast the last 4 flights we have had in premium have been nothing short of amazing

We have just got back from flights to SFO, the flight crew were amazing and made us feel like we were the only passengers on board.

Andy
#963818 by miked1e
19 Apr 2024, 14:34
Not good to hear this.... we are ready to book flights for next year to MCO, and I am seriously considering just going for Premium as opposed to an attempt for UC. Especially if a risk of being on the A333's.
Virgin Atlantic